Guild X-160 Sunburst from 1990

Reaction score
Hi!

First of all I must say Hello, This is my very first post!

I have a question about a Guild a friend has offered to me... the guitar looks great, but my friend says is a X-160... The inside label says so.... but every single X-160 that I have seen is red , The rockabilly model.. but this is most a X-155 Savoy with the Pups selector in other side... I mean, when I searh about X-160's only can find the Rockabilly model and can't fin anything about any other kind of X-160... but it exist, I have one at home :lol: . The serial is difficult to understand but I can see HJ000J43 or HJ000143 that seems to be the real one, so this guitar is from 1990... Isn't it?

My friend is the very first owner, he changed The Guild Bigsby to a Real Bigsby unit...

He wants to sell it to me and I am interested also... I have played it and falled in love with Guilds again.... I have always been a Telecaster man but this Baby really rocks... I have asked him to give me the original Guild Bigsby unit... and now the questions are...

What kind of X-160 is this? I can't find anything about it, I can only find Rockabillys ....

How much would I offer? I mean justice, he is a friend, I don't want to cheat a friend, but also don't want to pay an excesive amount of money...

Here are some pics...

[img:309:462]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/RafaelMarin/GUILD/GUILD.jpg[/img]

[img:1362:2030]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/RafaelMarin/GUILD/GUILD2.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your Help!!!!!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Rafael Marin said:
. The serial is difficult to understand but I can see HJ000J43 or HJ000143 that seems to be the real one, so this guitar is from 1990... Isn't it?

My friend is the very first owner, he changed The Guild Bigsby to a Real Bigsby unit...

He wants to sell it to me and I am interested also... I have played it and falled in love with Guilds again.... I have always been a Telecaster man but this Baby really rocks... I have asked him to give me the original Guild Bigsby unit... and now the questions are...

What kind of X-160 is this? I can't find anything about it, I can only find Rockabillys ....

How much would I offer? I mean justice, he is a friend, I don't want to cheat a friend, but also don't want to pay an excesive amount of money...

Hello Rafael,

Welcome! What you have there is the first version of the X-160 Savoy and it is indeed from 1990. It is not the same guitar as the X-160 Rockabilly, which was introduced at the end of the '90s and has a somewhat bigger body. Basically, your guitar is the 'dressed down' version of the X-170 Mini-Manhattan with chrome hardware and a dot-inlayed fingerboard.

I'm not sure why your friend has changed the Guild Bigsby for the other type, because it should work fine with the original one.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Basically, your guitar is the 'dressed down' version of the X-170 Mini-Manhattan with chrome hardware and a dot-inlayed fingerboard.

I see... but I have seen the Mini-manhattan and this X-160 is Thicker than the mini-manhattan.... well I supose it will be the little sister of the X-170 Manhattan then...

Anyway... any idea about how much would it cost?

You should know that the Bigsby is glued :shock: , my friend didn't knew about the nut to harden the Bigsby handle bar and used Loctite, a Cianocrilate glue :shock: that also a drop runned all down the guitar from the tap down to the Jack...

Well I think this guitar has no Nitroceloulose lacquer... I think it is poliurethane... so maybe the glue dissolvent won`t hurt the finish... or do you think it will?

santfe

Reaction score
"he changed The Guild Bigsby to a Real Bigsby unit... "

The "Guild" Bigsby IS a "Real Bigsby." It is one of the nice things about Guilds (and some Gretsches) that the Bigsbys are cosmetically made by Bigsby to match the guitar they are mounted on. I can't imagine why anyone would want to change one.

Reaction score
:lol: :lol: Sorry!... I wanted to say a "Bigsby branded" instead of the original "Guild branded Bigsby" :lol: :lol:

Of course I think the original Guild is far more cool than an typical Bigsby.... And I still also don`t know why he changed it.. and of couse that I told him in the case that I buy the guitar I want the original one :roll: