ADDITIONAL PAUL PLAYED A GUILD AT ABBEY ROAD

carson17912

Reaction score
in addition to the information i posted on March 12, of this year, in which i said i saw a picture of paul playing a guild dred in bed and couldn't remember where i saw it. i remember. after searching my archives of guitar magazines there it was. You can see in Paul McCartney playing a Guild Drednaught in bed in during the Beatles 1964 American tour. Guitar world Acoustic issue Dec. '04-Jan. 05 page 34 is a black and white photo of 22 year old Paul McCartney playing a right handed Guild. Paul was never known as a gear head and from my research had George Harrison help him with all his "conversion" work(converting righties to lefties) George was the real guitar enthusiast of the Beatles. During their world tours it was George who tuned all of the Beatles instruments for each gig. At his induction into the rock 'n roll hall of fame Tom Petty eulogized George as saying: "George loved guitars." So in this picture I'm wondering if in fact maybe it was George who may have been turned on to Guild since the set up in the picture of Paul is still for a rightie. carson

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Carson,

A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine who is a little younger than I am, was driving in his car with his 12 year old daughter. He changed radio stations and "Hey Jude" was playing. He listened to The Beatles finish their song when his daughter asked him who that was. When he replied "The Beatles", she said "One things for sure, they're never going to make it"!

West

carson17912

Reaction score
great story!

to west r lee: great beatles story. I collect em up, that's one that should be published!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post some of them sometime. carson

dklsplace

Reaction score
For a minute, I thought you were heading toward the "Paul was in a band before Wings?" story. :lol:

carson17912

Reaction score
I WAS FLOORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was substitute teaching at Mt. Carmel HS. in Mt. Carmel Pa. I had asked a group of HS sophomores( year was 1988) If they could tell me who Richard Starkey was or George Harrison? The kids looked at me like I had three heads. I asked who was Paul McCartney was and they responded almost as one: "Mr. Long he is the leader of the group: "Wings." I was Floored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The kids also knew that the other (john lennon) was shot in New York City. I was floored. I can't remember what the kids of that era were listening to, but I'm sure they were on VH1's: "where are they now," program. The kids never heard of Jack Benny, The Man From Uncle, Julie Newmar, or saw the movie Casablanca. God forbid if I showed them a black and white film video tape too. Also the kids found it very hard to accept that there was life before they were around. To them President Kennedy and Bobby were just flickering black and white images and found it hard to accept they had lived. I guess it's like that for young kids of recent generations. In our house my grandparents were always talking about the big bands, frank sinatra, my dad loved crosby, my grandfather loved the Mills Brothers, and so forth. In our house there was a picture of Christ at the last supper and to one side was a picture of Franklin D. Roosevelt, and the other flank was President Kennedy. When I taught kids I tried to recreate the era these figures lived in. By Life magazines of the period, old newspapers, and films, and audio tape. Oh, by the way the kids loved the video that was popular by Twisted Sister: "we're not gonna take it." I used to play along with them at the time, when a student did something or got a lackluster grade, I used to act out the guy in the video saying: "What are you gonna do with your life?????????? They would always howl with laughter because they saw the joke and the victim of the joke, one of the kids would laugh because I always added my own line: "Don't sweat it kid, you can always work with me in the circus." carson