Guild Marketing Knows We're Here!

Charlie Vegas

Reaction score
Ok guys! I just got this e-mail. Now's the time to let your voice be heard!

Donnie Wade said:
Charlie,

Thank you for the tip on the forum. Very professional and nice. I will
view it tonight when I get home. Thanks again for the support.

Regards,
Donnie Wade
Marketing Manager for Guild

dklsplace

Reaction score
After much debate, I've decided the best thing to do is start this thread over on a fresh note. Let's just let Harmony Central be Harmony Central ok? :p

Thanks Charlie for tipping off Mr. Wade. He may not have had personal knowledge of this forum, but I am aware that Fender/Guild folks have known about us & have lurked since early on in the old forum.

It's plain to see that we're all pretty passionate about our particular instruments. And apparently the secret is out that we're a bit...er...unique? 8)

Whether it's an "official" voice of the company, or just another player who happens to be a Guild enthusiast, I look forward to being able to say "I almost kinda know someone who works there!"

Reaction score
Fenders on a Guild

Don -- First, let me just say that I'm astounded that Mr. Wade responded to anyone's email. I attempted to contact him numerous times on other matters and he did not give the courtesy or professionalism of a response. I wrote letters, called, faxed and.....nothing. Of course, this seemed to me to be the way of doing business with Fender/Guild, as I started with Bill Acton - after no response, was directed to Donnie Wade....still no response, then to Ron K-something. Now, he actually returned my call, but only to say that Acton had passed on all of the stuff to him, but although last week he was in that position, this week it was Donnie Wade again and would pass my information on to Wade. (All this involved some performances in the Phoenix-area that we thought Guild might be interested - especially as we are known widely as a Guild band.) In his defense, Mr. Wade did call once and leave a mesage on my machine - "Hi - got your stuff, but reallly don't understand what this is all about.... Call me." Repeated calls and emails of explanation to him went unanswered - eventually - I gave up. My belief in Fender/Guild ended at that time. They obviously didn't care about old-time players/supporters. But then, I understand the same thing has happened to people like Jay Pilzer, "The Guild Guy".

So, I'm astounded - but not impressed. I, too, believe that Fender/Guild has been aware of us for some time, but ....dare I say it - are really more daunted by us than impressed. Am I bitter about my experiences with Fender/Guild? No, I just realize and assert that Guild Guitars - as it was pre-Fender, has ceased to exist. Do I hope for a recovery? You bet, that would be nice. Do I honestly believe it will happen? No, of course not, and this from a guy who believes in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and the Loch Ness Monster (though not little men from outer space).

So, that's my two cents worth. Best to you all....dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

dklsplace

Reaction score
I, too, believe that Fender/Guild has been aware of us for some time, but ....dare I say it - are really more daunted by us than impressed.

Well, lets just be clear & realistic about this. We're currently less than 300 members; roughly a dozen regular contributors, & maybe twice that in occasional contributors. This site averages between 10-12,000 hits per week. To corporate thinking...we're not even a viable test market. Fender can sell 1000 cookie cutter MIM strats to 1 handmade Guild acoustic or electric.

Yes, Guild had the reputation of being a player's manufacturer, but the culture & marketplace have changed drastically in the last few decades. Put a cheap guitar in a pop star's hands & all of a sudden every kid wants one without having a clue about what makes an instrument unique. Who cares if it "speaks" to them...they don't even know what that means, but they put their money down & get what they pay for.

Just a theory, but I'm guessing that the guitar manufacturers are still trying to figure out how to catch up with & deal with the internet culture. The voice of the buying public is still $$$, but now there's a twist with groups like this (though no one is quite like us :wink: ), they're probably trying to get a handle on how to make the best of both worlds. My experience with "other" forums when a rep has made themselves known hasn't been pretty. I don't want to see that sort of ugliness here.

Most people here haven't a clue what I do for a living...whether I'm republican or democrat, scholar or semi-literate, black, white, irish...& it doesn't change the way you all relate with me here. Why should it be any different if I should say I worked for Guild? I'm here because I love my Guilds & I'm interested in what everyone else thinks about theirs. If someone from the company wants to hang around (or lurk) because they're interested in what we think about our instruments, I say great! They have plenty of material to read here that will tell them exactly that.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Don,

I think I've just figured it out. You ARE Donnie Wade! :wink: Just kidding!

Several good points made here. I certainly understand Smith's frustration. I think most of us who are obsessively passionate about these things have a tough time accepting the fact that it will never again be the way things were in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Like some of you, I too remember when I first found out that the Westerly plant was closing and it felt like the loss of a loved one.

I remember a thread here, not too long ago where we were discussing market tie-ins (or whatever they call those), one of which was a Dodge commercial and in the back of the Dodge, in this very subtle way (anyone other than a Guild fan would have missed it), was a Guild acoustic case. Another was a young female country singer who was playing a Guild. It is almost as if Fender has been testing the Guild waters in an effort to see if they will catch on. I suppose a buying public is far more influencial than a forum member's meager post in which he complains, rants and raves.

Obviously, I'm no corporate executive and know little about business, but it would seem to this peon, that the best way to do business would be to return phone calls and answer emails from folks who have devoted a lifetime to being an ambassador for a product that you now own and are responsible for. A lifetime guarantee is a big commitment. I would think long and hard before making it, however if I purchased a company that made it, as the new owner, I would certainly feel obligated to keep it. I have a brother-in-law who has done that very thing over the past 5 years. It took him 3 years after buying his company (a franchise) just to settle pending lawsuits. He has become extemely successful by keeping the commitment made by the previous owners. This past weekend, at the Dallas Guitar Show, I held in my hands a beautiful new/old stock Guild acoustic (I am sworn to secrecy on the model). Hanging from this beautiful guitar was a tag which stated "Limited Lifetime Warranty". This sucker was expensive, and I asked myself....Is it really guaranteed? If I bought it and had an unfortunate problem, could I send it to the factory and have it returned in mint condition?

I, along with others here at the forum will never have the ability to buy a million guitars at once, or threaten to cancel that order for that matter. You have provided the only real voice that we have on the subject of Guild guitars. I do appreciate that. Sometimes we (I) just get a little carried away with emotion as we remember the past.

Thank you for having me,
West

dklsplace

Reaction score
My wife & a number of family & close friends call me Donnie. I think it's cute...but I'm time zones away from any corporate offices. Though I can say I make a living with my guitar.

a Dodge commercial and in the back of the Dodge, in this very subtle way (anyone other than a Guild fan would have missed it), was a Guild acoustic case.

I think it was a Bluesbird case. Wasn't there a small amp in there too?

Reaction score
S-s-s-s-sh-u-d-d-e-rrrrrrr

Whoa! - Our Don - Donnie Wade? Woooo - that was a scary thought for a second there. Ah, the paranoia of people who lived through the 60's and 70's. West - I'm gonna get you for that....don't know how...don't know where....Hahahahahahahahaha!

Don - I remember that commercial AND our discussion of it. Yeah, there WAS a small amp. Music man maybe? But I remember the case and thought - man, I've never seen a Guild logo THAT big on a case.

Well....I'm still waiting on my new 90 GF25...I have a bad feeling about this deal.....keep you posted...dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
8) Very ingenious actually. What better way to conduct a covert assessment of the reasons you were once at the pinacle of acoustic guitar manufacturing. I like it :) :wink:

HoboKen

Reaction score
OK....I do hope the Fender-Guild folks read all we say here and take it to heart.

I know that the Martin Guitar Factory, as big as they are now, still keep that "feeling" between player and luthier that has made them what they are today. They didn't loose that relationship when they got bigger. I know that first hand people. I visit the Martin factory once a year 'cause its close and the old timers still know me. I had one of the first D-35s ever made. Its now in the good hands of a dear departed friend's grown daughter.

I couldn't get to the Guild factory every year up in CT, and Willie didn't readily remember me without prompting when I did visit, but once he did remember, it was like a homecoming of sorts.

Guild, like Martin has had to bring in less expensive models to their line in order to survive. That's understandable. I guess that if Martin can put its logo on a headstock of a lesser guitar, so can Guild. As long as they put "GAD" before it. I do hope that the Tacoma factory develops the customer (player) to luthier (builder) relationship that the Westerly plant had. It is part of the Guild tradition. It's also good business when we are talking high-end guitars. If Martin can still do it.....Fender-Guild can once again do it!

As for the Fender-Guiild Nashville Custom Shop honoring an original Westerly original owner Guild waranty, we will see what we will see in the next few weeks or months.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Aw c'mon DBS. I don;t know you at all but having read a few of your posts I think I can rightly say that you are a wee bit "over the top ", sometimes over bearing and think highly of yourself. Besides that you have a funny high falutin name and are a Scotsman. Lets face it if you weren't a musician you'de be a banker!
I think Guild are afraid to return your calls, knowing full well your looking for some kind of endorsement deal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did I metion you're a great guy and always very helpful with regards to guitars and live performance?.
Who loves ya?
Benee Wafers does!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Boy Benee,

It's a good thing you didn't read my first post on this thread before it was deleted. It may be impossible for you to understand, but try to understand where we come from.

I'm no professional like Smith, but I have played Guilds since the mid 70's. They once were in my very humble opinion, the BEST acoustic guitar in the universe. Especially when you look at ALL factors, including workmanship, durability, reliability, sound and price. The fact that there are so many Westerlys' still around and still highly regarded is a testament to these factors, not to mention the fact that many or most have markedly increased in value over the years.

Please let me know when the Tacomas begin to rival the Westerlys'. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you won't be able to HONESTLY comment for about another 20-30 years and I'll be in my 80's. Today I can tell you that the Westerly Guild acoustic is one of the, if not the finest acoustic ever built.

:D No brag, just fact!

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
West,

We have a Hobo Ken and a West R. Lee. But I don't think we'll ever have a Corona Cal. But maybe a G. A. D'China. And I hope a Taco Ma. Was there ever an N. York Gild?

Obviously it's past my bed time. Time to take my blankee away from my dog.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Benee...please note my first post

Let's just let Harmony Central be Harmony Central ok?

All kidding aside, tone it down some eh?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

I thought those guys' names were T. A. Coma and GAD Zooks! Whew, and it's the middle of the afternoon here :? :shock: . I suppose senility and fatigue are setting in.

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
No problem DK. I was only teasing. No harm meant what so ever.
I'm all fun and games and I really really appreciate being able to read all the posts and learn from all the guitarists and Guild afficianados.
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.
Benee
No offense Kiltie wherever you are.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
If you want to tone it down, by a Gibson.
:lol:

Or use flatwounds.

Benee, just know it's extremely easy to misinterpret plain text. Without hearing your tone of voice, or whether or not you & DBS are slap-stick buddies off line, I thought it read kinda harsh.
I appreciate your contributions here & we all appreciate & can relate to the reason you signed on...like Jeff said in another thread...it's an illness 8)