more Qs about bridges

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I see there's lots of questions about bridges here. I have one too...

On my two Starfire IIIs (1960 and 1966) I have the aluminium bigsby unit, which I like, but I'm curious about what the difference in tone is if I used a wooden base on the bridge, as on Starfire IIs and Gretschs. Anyone know?

I thought about trying a rocking bar bridge or even some kind of roller bridge to see what difference it made. The Dearmond Starfire Special has a roller bridge, but it is screwed directly into the solid centre piece.

Anyone tried a bar bridge or a space-saver? could i mount them on the aluminium base? what difference would it make to use a wooden base, other than the scratch the top less : )

I like the sound of the aluminium - sort of zingy with lots of emphasised harmonics. My Ric 330 also has low pressure on the bridge and aluminium parts and zings even more, but with very little bottom end which is why I prefer my SF IIIs.

Cheers,

PK

lautmaschine

Reaction score
A good friend of mine had a rosewood-based ABR1 bridge made for his Starfire III. He loves sound. To my ears, apart from the better intonation you get, he guitar has a bolder, slightly darker tone to it now.

It's a nice mod, cause it's 100% reversible.