Guild D40

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
I've seen a 1967 D40 which looks like my kind of guitar although it looks to be rather short necked.
Wasn't told if its a Westerly, Corona or what? I suppose a "67 makes it a Westerly.?
Anybody mind telling me what they know about this model guitar, style of music, playing technique, history, rumour whatever.
Ultimately I want a D55 but maybe a D40 for a grand less might do the trick?
Benee Wafers

Reaction score
D40s

I've been playing 1965 D40 since I bought it new in '68, and even though I've acquired quite a few first-rate guitars since then, it's still one I play all the time--it's out on a stand right now, tuned down to taropatch for slack key.

Which brings me to my main point: it's a wonderful fingerstyle instrument, sweet and responsive and not what I would expect from a dreadnought. I've found the rosewood models I've played rather boomy, but nearly every mahogany Guild D I've tried (dozens) has been pretty well balanced, with a bit of the nasality that seems to be a house characteristic.

BTW, I'm not sure why all the fuss about which factory earlier Guilds came out of--mine's from Hoboken (or so the label says), but it sounds as Guildish as my New York F40 did or the many Westerly examples I've played. One of the striking things I've noticed about Guild has been the consistency of the products--the Guild sound is as unmistakable as Martin's.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Thank you Russel. I haven't learned real fingerstyle and am more a strummer tham anything else.
I'll keep GASing for the D55.
Yes there sure is a big to do about Hobies and Westerlys and Coronas and Tacomas.
Do you know what year the last Westerly was made?
I see a few Coronas turning up lately however with the rep they've got in this board you're kind of scared to buy one.
Which leaves me looking for a Westerly D55 or buying a new Tacoma one.
BW

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

I think on the D-40, built in '67 might make it a Hoboken. According to Mr. Moust's book, August of 1967 was when the first guitar was completed in Westerly. I believe that the Westerly plant was closed in 2001 or 2002. '01 I think.

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bennee, you can keep GASing for a D-55, (as do I), but I think the DV-52 is one of the best kept secrets. They were only built in Westerly and they're only one step below the D-55 in the dreadnaught lineup. I see them go for under 1$K on e-bay all the time. That's where I got mine a few years ago, how sweet it is :D

I've owned my mahogany D-25 for 30 years now and it's got a rich sound all its own, but the DV-52 is now my main gigging guitar.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Thanks WRL & Dred. I'll dig deeper and find out the place of manufacture.
Will let you know.
I know I keep seeing lesser priced Guilds and wonder about them, reputation, sound, build etc., etc., but I think I've reached the point where I won't settle for anything less than the D55. There must be a reason for it being the Guild flagship model after all yet funnily enough when I look at all the players line ups of Guilds there are not that many of on site players who list a D55. Hmmmm..........?
Benee Wafers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that too Benee. I assure you that it's not because they are not unbelievable guitars. I've played several and the sound reminds me of my DV-72. Deep with tons of bass, crisp highs, great resonance and unmatched sustain. Just my opinion of course.

I'm always on the lookout for that D-55 deal myself. I just haven't quite found it yet. Good luck in your quest, and when you find it, let us know.

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
WRL there is a Corono D55 on e bay right now for a really good price although it states that the headstock back has " Used" stamped on it.
Would you know under what circumstances the factory would have stamped used on the headstock?
Benee

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

I really think that's a question for Hans, but I think they did that at the factory to declare a guitar flawed. I think that flaw could be anything that didn't pass the inspection process. I also think that many times those flaws are very minor, sometimes not.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Guild that wasn't built in Westerly. Good luck.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

I just checked out the D55 in question. The seller states that the guitar is stamped "used" because it was "wholesaled as overstock". The first thing I would have to ask myself is: What would a company, in the business to make money, take one guitar, built just like all the others of that model, and decide to wholesale it as overstock for?

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Gosh Benee...a lot, of course I love them both.

Let's see, the DV-72 has turquoise inlay rosette, the 52 has abalone.
The 72 has Grover silver Imperial tuners, the 52 has Grover gold finish kidney.
The 72 has turquoise inlay block fret markers, the 52 has pearl dot markers.
The 72 has an ebony fretboard, the 52 has a rosewood fretboard.
The 72 has the "G" shield inlaid in turquoise in the headstock, the 52 has a pearl Chesterfield logo.
The 72 has a D100 headstock, the 52 has the standard headstock.
The 72 has turquoise arrows inlaid in the bridge. The 52 has the standard bridge.
The72 has a Herringbone binding, the 52 has white binding with black pinstripes.
The 72 has the wide flared traditional headstock, the 52 has the newer narrow top of the headstock.

I'm sure there are many differences that I haven't mentioned, they do have the basics in common though. They are both rosewood guitars with spruce tops.

Hope this helps,
West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Very in depth. Thanks.
So I take it the higher the number 52/55/72/75 means the more expensive models.
Benee

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Somewhat, although I don't think the DV-72 was much more expensive than a D55 at the time. Only Hans knows for sure :wink: .

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Benee,

I gotta chime in here, I don't own a D55 for the same reason most everybody doesn't, They aint cheap. They're real nice guitars with nice inlays & bindings & although I have only played one it was magnificent. It was brand new & had to be either a Corona or a Tacoma built guitar.
The shop was asking well over 2k for it. I'm sure they can be had for less.

For half that or less a DV52 or 62, or a D5CE is still a darned nice git.

Should I ever get to be a good enough guitar picker that my moderate priced Guild's are hampering my performances you'll all be hearing about it.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I suppose like anything, personal preferance is the operable word here. There is one Guild dred I'd rather own than even a D-100. A member here that goes by "Sedona" has a DV-73....Sedona. I personally think it's the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. I'm one of those weird guys that appreciates beauty almost as much as I appreciate sound. The cool thing to me about Guilds as that you can have them both! I'm sure that sonically, it's virtually the same guitar as a DV-52, 62, 72 etc., I just think it is absolutely stunning and one of the most unique I've ever seen.

West

J45dale

Reaction score
I cannot compare my 2002 Corona built D55 to older versions, built in other cities, as I only have the one D55 in my stable. But I simply cannot find any fault with this Guitar, neither in finish, tone or playablity. I am sure as with most guitars , they become sweeter with age. But my D55 fills out my rosewood, dred needs nicely. :D and I have to recommend these models.
Being mainly a mohogany Guy, I do hope to someday obtain a older, arch backed, spruce top D-25. I feel it would be a good play mate for my old J-45 and D-18.
too little $, too many great guitars, and too little time to play them, but ain't it a great habit!
Dale.

Tres

Reaction score
Re: D40s

Russell Letson said:
I've been playing 1965 D40 since I bought it new in '68, and even though I've acquired quite a few first-rate guitars since then, it's still one I play all the time--it's out on a stand right now, tuned down to taropatch for slack key.

Which brings me to my main point: it's a wonderful fingerstyle instrument, sweet and responsive and not what I would expect from a dreadnought. I've found the rosewood models I've played rather boomy, but nearly every mahogany Guild D I've tried (dozens) has been pretty well balanced, with a bit of the nasality that seems to be a house characteristic.

BTW, I'm not sure why all the fuss about which factory earlier Guilds came out of--mine's from Hoboken (or so the label says), but it sounds as Guildish as my New York F40 did or the many Westerly examples I've played. One of the striking things I've noticed about Guild has been the consistency of the products--the Guild sound is as unmistakable as Martin's.

I too have a 1965 D-40 that is an exceptional guitar. Loud, punchy, good balance. I agree that it is a good fingerstyle guitar as well. It especially loves Alchemy Gold/Phos strings!

Tres

'65 Guild D-40
'02 SCGC D/PW
'76 Gallagher 71 Special
'68 Martin D-28
'05 Goodall TROM