m75 or what

Reaction score
i have what appears to be a guild m75 1976 model (according to the serial # 137374) it is a black solid body with what appears to be humbucker pickups--it has 2 volume controls--2 tone controls--a smaller knob which is numbered 1 to 9---with a 2 way switch above it--and a 3 way switch like a les paul. can anyone tell me about the 2 way switch and small knob as to what they do. i have played it and the switch seems to be a coil splitter------- also the general value of this guitar---- it has some scratches on back and a nick or two here and there--it was played professionally for many years but still plays well any help would be greatly appreciated

proffrog

Reaction score
M75?

Hi,
Your guitar certainly sounds like an M75 - I have a similar model - a great and underrated guitar The small knob is a master volume, and I understand that the switch is a phase switch - but someone else on the forum (Hans?) will be able to give more detail.

The phase switch doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference on my M75, and I've temporarily loaded it with SD Phat Cat P90s, to try a different sound alongside other humbucker-loaded Guilds

BarryJ

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mid-'70s M-75

Yes, the small knob is a Master Volume and during this period the little switch almost always was a phase switch. It's only effective when the pickup switch is in the middle (both pickups on) position.
Coil taps were not a regular feaurure yet during the mid-'70s, but it's of course possible that somebody rewired it to be a coil tap.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Reaction score
m75 value

thanks guys do ya'll have any idea about a general value of this guitar. a older lady that i know actually owns this guitar, it was her husband's guitar and he passed away about 7 years ago.she wants to sellit and i would like to give her a fair price for it, i have checked ebay and their is not anything like it on there.

proffrog

Reaction score
Hi,
don't know about values stateside, but I paid £300 sterling for mine about a year ago - it's a bit worn with a neck repair, but still seemed a good price to me - worth every penny!

You could look up gbase.com - there was a sunburst one on there a while ago
Barry J (proffrog)

Reaction score
thanks barry--- forgive my stupidity but how much is 300 sterling in u s dollars

proffrog

Reaction score
M75?

Hi,
about $600 USD, I think. But there's one on ebay at the moment with a Buy it Now price of about $1000usd - mind you it does look in good nick
Baeey J