New Member- Guild/Fender Artist

singermcl

Reaction score
Hello all.

I can't believe I didn't know about this forum long before! I found it today and dove right in. By way of introduction:

I was signed as an artist endorser by Guild/Fender in 1998. I was getting ready to release my 2nd album and Del Breckenfeld at Fender learned of it (and my love of jumbo-body Guilds) and he was kind enough to sign me to a deal at that point.

As a result of that deal I was lucky enough to go to Rhode Island and tour the Westerley plant with the uncomparable Willie Fritscher. I got to know him well and he would lunch with my wife and I when we visited the plant. What a wonderful, kind and knowledgable guy! He showed me where he had all the original abalone/mother of pearl neck decoration pieces and printed layouts for every Guild made since the 40's! For those of you familiar with the early 12-string that John Denver had on the cover of his "Rhymes and Reasons" LP, you'd recognize that unconventional decoration scheme in the different fret positions. He had it there! The stars, the rosettes, the square blocks, the "squiggles"; all of them. It was truly amazing.

I saw the drying room with all the woods stacked together and Willie told me about how he picked woods and the difference in sound each wood made. I was blown away by the machine that creates the deep arch-back on the maples like on the JF-30's. I was mesmerized by the fact that these guys made guitars largely BY HAND and I will never forget the deep love Willie and his staff demonstrated for their craft. I wish I could convey it all here but I remember it fondly. I dragged my wife with me and even she left in awe even though she doesn't even play.

Willie told me an interesting thing. He said that he felt that artist endorsements were ineffective. He said that, since the 80's he had not seen any change in the numbers of orders for guitars placed because a certain artist had endorsed the product. He said he didn't think it sold guitars at all; a revealing observation and one of many things he shared about the factory. What was plain was the true pride each person in that factory took in his or her job; really an "old world" operation.

In any case, he gave me a Guild shop apron as a parting gift (one I still have) and we maintained contact for some time after. I saw Willie at NAMM a couple of times but not since about 2002. I haven't tried to track him down.

It saddened me to read (on this forum) that the Westerley factory was no more.

Bruce Bolen SR in the Nashville Custom Shop is also a wonderful guy. He and his staff were kind enough to lend us instruments on many ocassions since we lived in California and hated to try to fly our acoustics on the airlines when we came to Nashville for shows. I did an interview in his "back room" at the custom shop (which was a drool fest for me and the guys in my band) and he blew me away when he let me use a Guild acoutic that I can't remember the model (it had the hand-carved heel and the abalone "tree of life" inlays all over the neck) for an important gig. That was one of the sweetest guitars I've ever played.

So it's great to be among you. I love my Guilds and share your love of them. Thanks for starting this forum!

Marc Corey Lee
-----------------
F-50
F-412
JF-30

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Marc! Glad you were finally able to stumble across us here & look forward to having you around.

Do you currently have anything in the works?

Don

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, Marc, and thanks for the memories.

I never took the opportunity to visit Westerly, what was I thinking?

And I can identify with a guy who knows how to spell Marc properly :D

-Marc DR

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Marc!!!

It must have been wonderful to visit the factory. My first job was as an engineer for Klipsch and Associates (the speaker company). One of my duties was giving plant tours. It was wonderful to show people around that had traveled from England or Germany or Japan just to see the plant.

So I imagine that Willie Fritscher enjoyed showing you the plant as much as you enjoyed seeing it!!

Enjoy this place.

singermcl

Reaction score
Thanks everybody

Thank you to everybody for the welcome.

Now let's get down to business. So where are they making Guilds now, Corona? I was jsu there and I didn't see ANY Guilds on the line. Looked like all Fender to me.

Also, does anybody know if the "double pick guard" F-50 was a standard model in the 70's or only a custom shop fabrication?

Here's somebody else's pic for reference.

[img:226:320]http://members.lycos.nl/jurgenspage/hpbimg/John%20Denver%20guitar%20IV.jpg[/img]

dklsplace

Reaction score
Marc, Guild acoustics are now being made at the Tacoma WA. plant after Fender aquired the Tacoma company. Electrics have vanished for the time being. There is also an import line of Guild acoustics coming from China with the GAD desigation.

Couldn't say about the double guard F-50's. They were obviously available, but you really don't see them. I don't see mention of it in Hans book right off hand, so he'll have to chime in with the real skinny.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
double guards

dklsplace said:
Couldn't say about the double guard F-50's. They were obviously available, but you really don't see them. I don't see mention of it in Hans book right off hand, so he'll have to chime in with the real skinny.

Hello Don,

The double guards were an option as early as the '60s. They are mentioned in the 'Special Orders' chapter on page 164 of the book.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
singermcl said:
Wow, as early as the 60!

Hi singermcl,

Not 1960!! I said the sixties! I didn't check my database yet, but I believe the earliest one I have in there is an F-50Bld. from 1964. And actually it's not a double guard but one big guard that covers both sides next to the soundhole and under the strings.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust