GAD-G212

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Its me, the Gadster again.
I've been thinking hard about a 12 string and have followed a couple of JF 30-12's Westerly's recently on e Bay.
I'm thinking though of matching my GAD40C with a GAD G212.
Is anybody out there owning and playing one of these GAD212?
Care to give a review?

I know that the GAD series are all around very good guitars and I'm thinking that a 12 string could become the the main acoustic of my live performences ( when I have any).
Anybody familiar enough with that guitar to tell me whether or not it's good enuff to be on the pro circuit?
Pro's and cons.
Also they come in the below finishes but I haven't been able to find a view of them.
Anybody know where to go?
The GADSTER

(837) Antique Burst,
(850) Ice Tea Burst

Squawk

Reaction score
For what it's worth:

I own a Corona JF12-30 which I bought a few years ago. At the time, my heart was set on a Guild as I always wanted one since I was in college (I'm 56 now), but to be somewhat fair, I tried a few other 12 strings including a Taylor and better grade Yamaha - there was no contest in that price range - everything about the JF was better. This was before the introduction of the GAD series. I excluded the F412 & F512 as I didn't wish to spend that much.

steverok

Reaction score
Hello Gadster, I do own a GAD-G212. I played it against a nearly-$3000 Taylor 655ce maple-bodied 12-string. While the Taylor was stunningly beautiful, and played very easily, the GAD had a fuller, warmer tone, with more bass, at about 1/4 the price. The GAD is no slouch on looks, either. I do not have enough experience to compare it against other acoustic 12's, including vintage Guilds. The only thing I thought needed just a little improvement was the nut. They don't go out quite far enough to the edges of the fret board, and it was a little cramped on certain chords. I sent it to Griffin Guitars in GA, and he cut and installed a new nut, according to my specification, which makes it play perfectly now. He also set up the action really nicely, it's like butter now. He also installed a K&K pure-western mini, sound board transducer pick-up. It is great !! I would not put an undersaddle transducer in an acoustic 12-string guitar.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Thanks squawk & steverok. Good info to have. I'm kinda stuck in the middle here being brain washed by the geesers into thinking Westerlys are God's gift to 8 fingered mammals and buying a second/third hand RI Guild or picking up a new GADG212.
Still undecided.
Benee Wafers

dklsplace

Reaction score
Yeah...Waverly tuners are ok, but I prefer the Grovers on my Westerly Guilds. :p

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Yeah you got me :oops: Where's the damn edit button! :x
Delete delete before the rest see it :(
BW

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

There is a nice JF-100-12 for sale on Ebay right now! And by the way, you're not the 1st to refer to Westerly as Waverly :)

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Thanks WRL. Guess what? I just" Buy It Now" the Guild F 212 XL NT 12
that was on e bay. A '77 Westerly no doubt!! Thrilled to death I am.
Of course if this Westerly lets me down you guys are so dead !! :lol:
I'll be sure to let you kow when it arrives.
Benee

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Benee! Enjoy, enjoy. By the way, I may be jumping threads here, but you did "the Freddie"? Who are you calling "Geezers"? :lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee, Get you BAD SELF out of here.....................you go guy. Hey, I'm really happy for you. You've just taken a giant leap into guitar heaven. That sucker is going to sound like a band of angels! :D

Please let us know all about it when you get your new baby!

Congratulations,
West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Thanks guys I'll be sure to let you know.
Dred... The Freddie... no I just saw a documentary the other nite about the 60's, the British invasion and that stuff and just happened to see a bunch of future geezers doing this weird dance.
I mean I was born 20 years after the Beatles but I know their music anyway :roll:
Technology ya old coot. 8)

drowlins

Reaction score
Benee Wafers said:
Thanks guys I'll be sure to let you know.
Dred... The Freddie... no I just saw a documentary the other nite about the 60's, the British invasion and that stuff and just happened to see a bunch of future geezers doing this weird dance.
I mean I was born 20 years after the Beatles but I know their music anyway :roll:
Technology ya old coot. 8)

AAAhhh- but actually being there to watch this momentous change in American music was great! I have the heart and soul of a 20 year old. :lol:

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Just bought one of those Guild GAD 212's and I did play a Taylor 655, a Martin DM12, and a Washburn J28 Cumberland Jumbo.

The Guild beat the tar out of the others for tone and Bass.

I had to add a front strap button, and I took material off the bridge to set the strings near the frets. Now she plays much better, but I think some "smoother" strings are in order.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Good to hear from your Doctor Plumber.
On my GAD 40C I have been introduced to Elixir strings for the first time.
They are a coated string and have style names of Nanoweb and Polyweb
I believe the shop put Polywebs on mine.
They are certainly smooth. They are known to last twice as long as your regular type string. They are also prolly 3 times as expensive.
Personally, at this point, I like them because thet are smooth and they are sounding very bright even after quite alot of daily use.
You may want to try them out.
Benee Wafers

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Elixir's were in My thoughts. I generally use EJ38 Addario's, but on a Quality Guitar such as the Guild, I'm going to replace the originals with the Elixir set. Thanx for informing Me about the different styles available. :lol: