1967 Guild F-20

songsmith7

Reaction score
Hi, Guild-ians,

I've been hankering for a small-bodied Hoboken Guild, so I pulled the trigger on one from Elderly for $350. I wanted to get a Guild from my birth year. It needs a neck reset, the bridge replaced, and a couple of small cracks on the bouts cleated and glued. The top is pretty clean, with the exception of some small scratches. what's a ballpark figure on the repair costs? Thanks in advance.
Jan

dklsplace

Reaction score
Where are you located? Elderly has a well respected repair shop, (though their customer service ain't what it used to be). In this area, I'd say you're looking at between what you paid for it...& $500.

Dirt123

Reaction score
I had a neck repair & somewhat major body reconstruction done on an old Gibson L-75 arch top for $550 in Minneapolis. I would agree your repairs shouldn't go over $500. Nice this about Guilds, they didn't use goofy glue (like epoxy) & don't have weird neck joints. Makes it easier on the repairman.

You may question the wisdom of doing a repair that will cause you to sink more into a guitar than what its value is going to be. I don't know what a F-20 would normally go for. The plus side, is that after the reset & bridge job, that guitar should play like new, but sound old. In my book, that makes it worthwhile.

BTW, does it have an original case?

D

songsmith7

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping that repairs wouldn't be more than $500, so this is encouraging. The only F-20's from this period that I've seen on the web seem to be going for more than the roughly $850 I will end up paying out (I think these small-bodied Guilds from the 60's are commanding more than they're probably worth, thanks to Nick Drake), so I'm ok with that. There was a '67 F20 on eBay recently with a starting bid of $1199. Yikes.

No, the case is newer, non-original, so I'll just keep my eyes open for one from the same time period.

Anyone know of a good, reasonable luthier in Southern California? I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, but would be willing to drive a fair ways for the right person.

Thanks, all!
Jan

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My research is less than scientific, but It would seem the going prices for a nice F 20 is maybe $800 to a thousand dollars less than a vintage Martin mahogany 00. So far I haven't found a Martin 00 (or any other for that matter) that was appreciably better than My F20, it simply makes pretty sounds the Martins can't match, plus the F20 is smaller than a 00.

The Martin's are usually more forgiving & easier to play.

My Lady paid $300 for mine & it cost me another $600 or so to get the neck resert, replace the bridgeplate, reglue the bridge, replace the frets & a couple other minor cosmetic binding fixes. Oh I almost forgot, I laid out another $125 for a decent case and I should have had the tuners replaced.

I suspect I might have a hard time making any money on the deal so far, but a thousand dollars for a nice small body these days is a good value. Last F20 I saw for sale in a shop here in the great NW went for $1300. It was nice, with a fresh neck set, refret, & a new set of high end tuners.

Still, $1300 for a guitar that sold new for maybe $150.00?

I blame E bay.

songsmith7

Reaction score
So I took my F-20 down to a local guy, Richard Barnes, of the Folk Music Center in Claremont, California, and he said a neck reset would cost $500. Then, he told me that a refret was in order (it isn't), and the cracks would cost a boatload, too. I promptly picked up my guitar and it was all I could do to restrain myself from beating him to a pulp right there in the store. If you live in Southern California, avoid this place like the plague.

It's very hard to find good luthier help, these days.

songsmith7

Reaction score
Hey experts, I'm looking for a replacement rosewood bridge for the F-20, and was wondering if Guild bridges come in different sizes in terms of string width. Does one Guild bridge fit all?? Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Song, Can't help you with the bridge but I saw some really nice 3 in a
line tuners today at "Trading Musician" in North Seattle. I don't want to modify my F20 drillin holes & such but I sure would like a better set of tuners.

The had several styles running about $45.00

I was told high end replacement tuners often fit without drilling.