Tell me about your F112...

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
I'm getting the joneses for a 12 string again and I've always been intrigued by this model. I owned a F212XL a while back-- it was a great guitar, but I found its size kind of imposing and limited to playing out.

How much of a drop off in volume is there between the 212XL, 212 and 112? Does the 112 have the volume/projection of an OM/000 sized guitar, or is it bigger/smaller sounding. I would really hate a tinny sounding 12 string.

Finally, anybody selling one? :)

Bob

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Hey GB. My F212 XL is enroute to me as we speak.
I'll have it in my hands Tuesday or Wednesday.
Glad to hear you say it's a great guitar. I kind of like big guitars. Like to just hang my elbow over the top and strum away.
Why did the guitar limit you to playing out only?
And I believe standard for a 12 is 16 inches so the XL is 17 inches. Did the inch make that much of a difference playing wise?
What year was it and how was the neck in terms of size and playability?
Benee Wafers
p.s. Check into e bay daily you'll find a 112 one sooner or later. Guilds have a very active life there.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey Benee,

My JF-30-12 is kinda like holding a piano. I mean that baby is heavy! But, it's over 15 years old and doesn't have scratch on it. Extremely well built guitar. I think you'll find that when playing with others, you'll have to tone in down or you will drown them out. Absolutely overpowering. They sound is great across the board. Keep in mind, if I'm not mistaken it will have double truss rods (my JF-30 does) which doesn't help with the weight, but the neck won't warp either. I think you'll be blown away by the resonance and infinite sustain.

West

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
I think you'll find that when playing with others, you'll have to tone in down or you will drown them out. Absolutely overpowering. They sound is great across the board.

That was my experience with the 212XL... a great guitar-- powerful. So powerful that its kind of limited to larger settings. It wasn't the type of guitar that you grab and play on the couch during commercials. Wonderful guitar for playing in Church, which is what I do. It was kind of like my experience owning a Martin D-18GE... it was too much guitar for me!

I'm sure that you'll be very happy with your 212XL. If I were playing out more, I'd be looking for one myself.

john_kidder

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up my new old G-312 next week. D-50 frame with 12-string fittings. I did love my D-50, here's hoping this will be as good.

Squawk

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
My JF-30-12 is kinda like holding a piano. I mean that baby is heavy! <snip>

When I first looked at the JF12-30, my thoughts were "I don't think so." However, once trying it out, I found the large size to be very comfortable (even with my "geezer gut"). While the weight is greater than any of my other acoustics, it is still lighter than most of my electrics. And it is well balanced - the large body offsets the double rods in the neck.

Here's a question for all you 12-stringers out there: What are your favorite strings for your Guild 12-string?

songsmith7

Reaction score
For my F-312, I like Martin Silk and Steels and Elixir Nano PB lights (that's what's on it right now), usually tuned to DADGAD.

Squawk

Reaction score
I currently have Guild PBs on there - the next set I'm going to try are Ernie Ball Slinky PBs - slightly lighter gauge than the Guild. I never tried the Nano 12s - or any Nano acoustics. I tried the Nano electrics once and wasn't impressed - especially given the much higher cost. But they do last longer.

Somewhere I read a recommendation about the Ernie Ball's provioding a nice balance of richness and playing ease. We'll see.

songsmith7

Reaction score
The Nano PB's are significantly better than the regular Nanos, IMO. I don't like Elixir on my electrics at all. I tried 'em once and my left hand looked like it had been dipped in coal dust.

I'd like to try Slinkys, John Pearse, and Newtone Masterclass strings as well. I've heard great things about all of them.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
An awful lot of Guiders on here say all good things about John Pearse strings. I ordered a pair and am waiting for my Elixirs to wear out. Talking 6 string though. 12 string arrives next week with Elixirs on it, I'm told.
Benee Wafers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Elixer Nanowebs on all of my acoustics. I like the sound of D'Addario's, but the Elixer strings last much longer (Elixer strings cost about twice as much though). I've never tried John Pearce. I primarily finger pick with bare fingers and the Nanowebs seem like they are much easier on my hide!

West

Reaction score
Tiny tinnys

As some of you know - I'm cold to small-bodied guitars that sound tinny. My wife's M20 has mellowed well, but it still isn't a big enough, warm enough sound for me. That being said, a couple of years ago, I went back from dreadnaught 12s to F112s - I have two of them and the 73 is phenomenal. It's what Rickenbacker was aiming at.

I find the F112 (not my '69 Hoboken though) to have a warm, rich, fat sound with clean articulation across the board and no overring. I call her "Betty" and it is a staggeringly powerful sound for sucha small body (a small jumbo). I've bought several for between $400 and $600 with the original hard shell case. I've only ever had one neck reset, but it was worth every nickel. My '69 is rather 'wide open' and a little too expansive. It works well in the studio as an overdub, but the 73 is the real killer when the guitar needs to be featured front and center. After playing dread 12s for years, I don't miss the roar at all. I like the punchy projection and that haunting ring. Like I said, I believe the F112 is what Rickenbacker was aiming at.

And strings....I used Martin 80/20 lights (12-54) because I get them cheap at Musicians Friend and change them pretty often. dbs

Squawk

Reaction score
I just restrung the JF12-30 with the Ernie Ball Slinkies - the difference is subtle but noticeable. A little brighter highs, lows are about the same (nice and deep); just a wee bit more jangle. I notice no difference in anything else. Despite slight differences in the guages, the playing ease, action, intonation and overall feel is no different than before (with Guild lights).