Check This Acoustic/Electric

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Well holy crap, the word guitar shouldn't even be in my vocabulary.
Excuse my igorance but a couple of questions.
1. Was he in standard tuning for all those numbers?
2.Is there a particular name to the style of finger picking that he uses?
Benee Wafers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

Sorry, I can't answer all of those questions as my knowledge is pretty limited. I was lucky enough to sit about 15 feet from him while he played for 1 hour and 45 minutes. It was unbelievable. He plays at a lot of churches and my church is a large one. Our hall seats about 1000 people and when they invited Doyle, they didn't know what to expect. Somehow they crammed about 1500-1600 in there with people standing up against the wall. People came from everywhere.

After the show that night, I stayed a while to try to get a chance to meet him. After he did autographs and all, we did have a chance to talk. When he asked me if I played, I didn't know how to answer. I said, "Do I play....compared to who, you....NO!" Doyle Dykes is the fastest and most precise I've ever seen.

It was truly a memorable night.

West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I read an inverview with Doyle where he said he had been influenced by Leo Kottke (and John Fahey I expect). That style is a lot like the claw hammer style in banjo playing.

He is frightening.....I would like to see the checks he gets from Taylor....!!
:shock:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, thanks for the connection to Doyle's clips, I'd have never found them otherwise 'cause I'd have no other reason to go to Taylor's website :D

Doyle was here a couple times at Taylor workshops sponsored by a local dealer, he was truly amazing. I've seen Leo Kottke several times too, and you can definitely hear the similarities in their style.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Doyle Duke's video for Taylor T-5 Guitars is the reason, for "Better or Worse" I own a Taylor T5.

He's an inspirational master artist. Somehow he articulates with all five fingers on his right hand. Wonderfully precise, dead on, hot.

The me, his style seems consistently reminiscent of Chet Atkins. I would guess no one ever sold more Gretsch guitars than Chet Atkins.

Anyone have a guess what Taylor is paying Doyle to play their guitars.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That reminds me, when Doyle was here he told a story about how he played something for Chet Atkins over the phone, Chet said "How do you do that, son?" and then insisted he come teach him how to do it. Apparently Chet and Doyle were good friends.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
And you know, other than his amazing speed and precision, the harmonics he plays blow me away. I've rung a couple of hamonics over the years, but never seen anything like that.

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have you guys ever heard of Mike Rayburn? Go to his website and see if you can open the file "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" and give that a listen. Incredible guitar work. :shock:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I tried to download the Mike Rayburn, but no luck. I'm always interested in anything Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers or Lynard Skynard as those are the bands I grew up with. Southern Rock and the old Progressive Country.....always enjoyed the Doobie Brothers too.

West

Reaction score
Doinky is as doink does

Well, Dykes is phenomenal in both open and standard tuning. You can hear Kottke and others in his technique...sadly, what you can also hear are those doinky taylor guitars. Part of that is the electric pick-up system, but then it all goes back to doinky sounding guitars - nylon AND steel strings. Sorry, guys - it's the reason I've never liked taylor and always been baffled at their popularity. Sorry, but that orange thing he plays sounds so donky I couldn't enjoy the playing. Doinky, doinky, doinky. Call me a purest, but that wouldn't happen if he were playing Guilds - even with a pick-up of any kind (well, almost any kind).

In summary - great guitarist, great talent - wasted on doinky sounding guitars. dbs

Reaction score
Doinky 2

Wait, wait, wait - I have to say - it depends upon what you want and what you hear. I hear doink, but you may hear something else (I can't imagine what else...). It's a 'beauty is in the ears of the behearer' thing. It depends on whether he's playing it through a quality PA or a guitar amp. A lot depends on how the video was recorded and uploaded/downloaded, but I hear doink through everything. Of course, perhaps sitting behind the taylor, he hears things differently. There is absolutely NO law that says that a great player also has great ears. Or nothing that says my ears are the final authority for anyone but me. But....does anyone else hear the doink?

I suppose it's what you're listening/looking for. dbs

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No Dudley,

I've never been able to say it because Doyle is just so talented, but I hear the doink too. I heard it live sitting right in front of him and I hear it in the video. He plays through a Rivera acoustic amp that he helped design. I really think it's just Taylor guitars, but I hate to step on any toes. Again, the man is so far ahead of where I'll ever be, I feel bad suggesting that he plays inferior guitars.

West

Reaction score
We are not alone...

West - Thanks - sometimes I think I'm the lonely only. But my brother has a Baby Taylor and he uses it to teach his son and for travel, but on stage - he uses a 1976 G-37. Why? Without hesitation he says, "I can't stand the doink!!"

Like I said, all that amazing talent - and Doyle is amazingly talented - and he either doesn't hear it....or (horrors!!!!!) he likes it. Of course, then there is the idea of ego - having a company give you new free guitars, use you in their ads and fly you here and there to promote there guitars. That means a lot to some people. Not saying that's Doyle, just saying that can be a factor.

We've discussed endorsements here - I don't believe they accomplish much and didn't for Guild because they endorsed the wrong people (like Clapton who did one set of ads, but outside of the ads was ALWAYS seen playing Martin acoustics) and didn't use any sense in it. But some people fight over them...swear by them. Who knows?

But glad someone else hears the doink. Thanks, West. dbs

john_kidder

Reaction score
Well now, if that isn't the most amazing display of artistry.

Simultaneously makes one want to drop everything else and just learn to play guitar, and at the same time to take one's guitars and give them away to someone who might be able to make them work like this. Doink or no doink, he'd do better with Guilds, but smoley hokes, Batman, he does all right.

Humbling, that's what that is. It's like thinking you can sing a tune and then hearing Ella Fitzgerald do it.

Ah well, ever onwards and, one hopes, at least slightly upwards.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:) Yes I know John. I'm ready for Smith to make a video like this with his G-37 so all of us Guild lovers will have something to be proud of!

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
I don't know if I hear a doink but I do hear a shallow sound, no depth to any of the guitars he played. Prolly a combination of the guitar and the electronics.
Benee

Reaction score
Videodrone

West - John -- Ha-ha! I would look like a really great sounding rank amateur next to Doyle. I'm too chordal and he's too.....incredible. I can see you all looking at my video and saying.....'terribly weird technique, but great sounding guitar. Wish Doyle could play that guitar.' Ha! dbs