Case for D25?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought one of those for a 97 Dread. Fit pretty good, and a nice case.

I also have the case that it replaced if interested. Some of the padding needs reglueing, but it's not in bad shape other than that.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought the one from MF, but it is nearly as tight as the Martin dread case I have. I'm not sure what the problem is. Though I'm not too bright, I'm guessing that forcing this one closed is a very bad idea and I should return it. It's not murder to get it closed, but the guitar is simply not fitting in there very well at all.

Anyone have any ideas? Are the newer Guild cases for the newer Guild guitars or is anyone using them for older D-25's, etc.?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Fun Gus,

It's actually rather hard to measure the inside of a plush lined case accurately, so if you bought something online, it might not be right. Maybe you could take your guitar to a store that carries Guild cases.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Darryl. I think Guild dealers (especially with those with cases in stock) are a bit scarce around here. Since this is their current deluxe model case for a dread, I may be out of luck. I might check at Guitar Villa later on though.

Does anyone use a case that needs to be forced closed at all? It's not like I have to use a lot of muscle to get it closed, but I'm guessing that maybe because of the arched back it's not fitting in as comfortably as it should. I don't want to put any unnecessary strain on the top/sides though... probably isn't a good idea to use any force at all, right?

Just wanna protect this baby! All apologies for this lame thread topic.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Lame topic? Heck no. I just ran into the same problem with banjo cases. The case box is too high, so the peghead is too high, and the lid presses against the peghead. So I'm sure as heck not going to close the lid. Instead, I just put a cushion under the resonator, which raised the pot and lowered the peghead.

Reaction score
Case in point

Fungusyoung - You know, I don't think it's ever good to force a case closed. If yours is an arched back dread - that extra depth may be why the Martin case doesn't fit. Arched back is unknown in Martinland. I have had great success with the SKB cases on my arch-back Guilds. However, I agree with Darryl - take it to the store and try them on for size. If you travel or fly - I would highly recommend the SKB RW-18. It's got recessed inline-skate wheels, recessed handles and holds the guitar snugly. I've never had a problem with flying these babies and SKB has a $1500 guarantee if anything happens to your guitar in their case. They can be had for about $200 - BUT, it that's too expensive, their regular cases are solid and fit well. Again, good idea not to force the top closed and a visit to the local store might give you some options. Cheers! Dudley-Brian

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks again, guys!

I'm a big fan of SKB's. Have several of those to protect my Tele's & Gibson's. That roller is a very good suggestion too. I'll do some scouting around locally over the next coupla days.

I guess the arched back is likely what causes the problem, but I was shocked it didn't fit into a new Guild case that is advertised to fit all of their dreads... D's, DV's, etc.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey fungus,
Did you ever find a case that fit your D25 well? I need a couple cases to fit my D25 and G37... The rolling SKB is a bit pricey for me... anyone use an SKB Freedom SFR-8 with an arched back Dread?

Anyone using a TKL case with their D25 or other arched-back dread? They have a couple molded cases that are a bit deeper (5.75") but only 41" long, and I am measuring my Dreads at 41.5". The cases for 6/12 string dreads are longer... but the 5.75" deep one is a bit pricey, since it is in their prestige line. I am wondering if I can get away with a 5.5" deep model.

Guess I'll wander down to the shop and see what I can find in town...
Thanks for any input.
Dave

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
ow! :( yeah the Guild original cases are deeper. Interestingly, my archback D-25 fits perfectly in my '98 DV-52 case.

Bummer that the new ones don't fit :(

Reaction score
Try a Breedlove case

My 1983 D-25 fits perfect in a breedlove case I picked up at the Guitar Center for 100 bucks. I just unscrewed the brass plate that said Breedlove. I just traveled through South East Asia and the middle east w/ that guitar and case and it did great.

Good Luck.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
GardMan said:
Hey fungus,
Did you ever find a case that fit your D25 well? I need a couple cases to fit my D25 and G37... The rolling SKB is a bit pricey for me... anyone use an SKB Freedom SFR-8 with an arched back Dread?

Anyone using a TKL case with their D25 or other arched-back dread? They have a couple molded cases that are a bit deeper (5.75") but only 41" long, and I am measuring my Dreads at 41.5". The cases for 6/12 string dreads are longer... but the 5.75" deep one is a bit pricey, since it is in their prestige line. I am wondering if I can get away with a 5.5" deep model.

Guess I'll wander down to the shop and see what I can find in town...
Thanks for any input.
Dave

I did, Dave, and I apologize for not responding sooner... just saw this post now.

It fits comfortably in an Alvarez case they recommended to me at a local shop. Latches close with no resistance at all. I believe it is this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Alvarez-Drednou ... dZViewItem

I'd definitely suggest trying before buying which never occurred to me with a guitar case before I went through this fiasco.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks... I am going to go out shopping for a case and some stands this weekend (I hope). I decided it was just too dicey to try and eBay one. I'll post my results, when I find one. Dave

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For future reference, I ended up getting a TKL 7815, which is their "Premiere" line case for a 6/12 string dread. The 5.5" depth was plenty for the D25s arched back, and the case was long enough (43.5") for the Guild headstock (from their specs, the cases for 6 string dreads are too short).

I also tried one of the TKL Proform dread cases for 6 string... don't know which of the models (original or II). It was definately too short for the Guild headstock (onless you wanted to take a saw to your guitar).

Paid $90 at the shop... but have seen the cases for $60-75 on eBay. Now that I know they fit, I might pick up another for my G37.

Thanks for suggestions, everyone.
Dave