Desert Island Guild. Or...the one you'll die with.

songsmith7

Reaction score
Look at your collection, folks, and tell us all which of your Guilds are you the most likely to keep until your relatives pry it from your cold dead fretting hand.

For me, my '72 F-312. Why? The body size is exceptionally comfortable for me, the tone is indescribably rich, the model is hard to find, and I can't imagine how any 12-string guitar can sound better. I don't play it as much as others in my collection, but when I do, the thing is singing a song called 'Ain't No One Like Me.' Damned if I wasn't playing Zeppelin's 'Rain Song,' too.

Let's hear some stories...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt, my DV-72. It is truly a combination of beauty and sound quality above the rest. The D-25M would be a close second, both for sound and sentimental reasons. The 72 is just so easy to play with low action and a big deep voice.

I love the JF-30-12 of course, but it is work to play that sucker. And my DV-52 is also a gem, but not quite the sound, feel or looks of the DV-72.

West

songsmith7

Reaction score
That DV-72 is quite a box. Good call, West. I'm going to own one someday, but hopefully not yours, because that would mean you'd be dead. :D

Funny that you mention it, I traded in a JF-30-12 Corona and a DV-52 HG, as well as a Gibson Cascade for my '73 F-50R and cash. No regrets, as the F-50R is the ultimate jumbo guitar, but both the JF-30-12 and the DV-52 were beautiful guitars with impeccable sound. As for the Gibson, well... Let's just say I was happy with the way it all played out.

8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
GB and Dred,

Don't get me wrong....the DV-52 is one awesome guitar. In fact, I probably prefer the sound of my 52 to my D-25. However, remember I'm going to a desert island here and have to make a choice. My D-25M was my first Guild guitar and has been with me a lot of years.

Great acoustics you guys have there.

West

songsmith7

Reaction score
My D-55 is the reason I traded in the DV-52. It was an eBay score (as is the bulk of my collection), and I preferred its slimmer neck, gaudier goodies, etc. The DV-52 was an awesome piece, though. I just found myself gravitating more toward the D-55, and I felt that owning both was overkill.

I owned a Martin HD-35 for about 3 days, before my bigscreen TV died and I bought a new projector (in addition to guitars, I have a serious home theater/audio addiction), and the D-55 is every bit its equal.

LET'S HEAR MORE STORIES!!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Should times ever get tough enough I can only keep one, "personal guitar", it'll for sure be the F 20.

I probably wouldn't be traveling in first class so size would likely be an issue. The F 20, even cased, fits inside, under, behind & beside many places the bigger bodied guitars won't. It takes a lot less space to play as well.

Should I ever have to make my living playing music, times are going to be so unbelievably bad the limitations of a little guitar aren't likely to be much of an issue.

Meanwhile, I'm playing for fun & my own entertainment mostly. The F20 has enough sweet spots to keep me happy for a while longer.

Reaction score
There can be only one....

For me - it would have to be my 1975 G37 (or D25, whichever - label says G37, but because of the mahogany back and sides, Westerly said it was most probably a mis-marked D25. Hey, doesn't hurt my feelings.) I've written literally thousands of songs on it, composed scores of music and it still blows me over.

Hey - you think it's a personality quirk that I love the arched back guitars (both the D25 and GF25) and they just HAPPEN to be the lower level lines? Wonder why that is? I think the absolute best Guilds are the arched backs, but they are almost all the lower end of their respective lines. When you get up a model or two, the backs flatten out. I wonder if it's just me, or some great cosmic plan????

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Smith,

I know how you feel about the so-call low end Guild acoustics. I think with me it's the "underdog" thing a little bit. However, the resonance of the arched back is so underrated. Through the years, I've just seen that D-25 blow away the highly rated competition so many times. When professional musicians play your D-25 and state that it is the most awesome sounding acoustic they've heard, after a while, it sinks in. And so many times I've heard the D-25 referred to as a "Student Model".

West

Squawk

Reaction score
This is a tough one, but if it had to be one acoustic, I'd take my D50 probably because it is more "all purpose" than my other Guild acoustics (JF12-30, Crossroads CR01 and B4CE)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
West, I know what you mean about the D-25, mine just had its 30th birthday, I bought it a new set of D'Addarios, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. (I also had a music prof from a local college come up to me and comment how exceptionally rich the tone was comng from my old D25. This really cheesed off the music director who I was playing with, seeing as the guy walked right by him and his new $2K+ 800 series Taylor to tell me this. By the way, he's got a separated top for the 2nd time now - common to everyone I know who owns a Taylor, but I digress...)

But oh, the sound of that rosewood DV52 now that its opening up a bit :D

By the way, my buddy just bought a real nice old D5CE, I wasn't aware they had an arched back! Laminated rosewood arched back, I didn't know they made these. I'll just have to play the living daylights out of his guitar and report back to you.

Reaction score
keepers

I'm the original owner of D-40 serial # AJ-299 and I can't see there being a second owner while I'm above ground. I've also gotten quite attached to a 1959 M-30, though I'm not sure it ranks ahead of my 1946 Broadway or my irreplaceable Cloutier fingerpicker.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Song,

It really sounds to me like none of us want to part with ANY of our Guilds :wink: !

West

songsmith7

Reaction score
Well, I know it's like asking everyone to choose between your children, but luckily we don't have to. I was mainly looking to find out which Guild is the most irreplaceable to everyone, and the reasons for it. Its made for some interesting reading. Good choices, everyone!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Now Song, had you asked what we would do if stranded on a desert island WITH our guitars, I would have said. Ride in the JF-30, paddle with the DV-52 and D-25 and play with the DV-72 during break time! :wink:

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
If I could never again have any other guitar, it would be my '67 D50. If not, my '71 512 with the 612 inlay because they are so rare.

But for the money, my fave acoustics are the D25 and DV52, and fave electrics are Bluesboids and just about any big Guild archtop. The prices on these are proof positive that the world has gone bonkers.