Memorial Day

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of the veterans here at LTG. My family and I truly owe you a debt of gratitude. And let's remember those who will never again hear a thank you or a Guild for the sacrifice they made!

West

Reaction score
From a vet...

Thanks - As a Vietnam-era Navy Vet and the son of a WWII combat Vet (Bronze Star, etc.), with brothers who served in the Army (2) and Air Force during Veitnam, I appreciate that. However, I would also like to add my thanks to all of the families who gave so much in all of these wars for the freedoms that we enjoy today. None of like war, current or past, but "there will always be wars and rumours of war", and men and women will sacrifice their lives and limbs. I am thankful for all of those who have made the greatest sacrifice and for their families who persevere without them. And I salute the current armed forces members around the world. May God have mercy on them and protect them and may they know that their effort is appreciated by those of us here at home. Thanks for remembering. dbs

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I just can't begin to comprehend what hell the vets have gone through. I've seen Pearl, the Missouri, the Vietnam memorial, the Civil War battle fields, Omaha Beach, Dachau, Anne Frank's House, Anzio, Ploesti, etc. It's just beyond my capacity to understand what it must have been like. I'm befuddled and astounded at trying to imagine what it must be like to be in the middle of it.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm a Viet Nam era Vet. An extremely lucky vet. My assignments were pretty darn cushy compared to many. 13 months was the deal, & most of us just dug in a little, did our time, & went home.

In my immediate neighborhood, an extended culdesac, are four military families, two have members recently returned from "deployment" in Irac, another had the husband leave two weeks ago , the fourth husband is leaving in three weeks. They get by, & surely do not complain much, and for the most part are cool people, really good at their jobs. An interestingly fertile lot, testosterone & estrogen run high & meet often on military bases. I see lots of toddlers with military buzz cuts just like ther daddies. The internet, e mail, & digital pictures back & forth daily take a lot of the misery out of the experience. It's still lonely, mean & ugly enough.

My father's generation was a completely different story, His enlistment was "The duration of the War & Six Months", there was no calendar to check off the days, in his case over 4 years. Some really big, mean, nasty stuff happened during that 4 years, little since campares. No medivacs, no telephones to call home, a few newsreels here & there, maybe a regular military newspaper, not much from back home.

My Grandmother helped operate a "Nursery School" in her hometown, caring for small children while their moms worked in local factories manufacturing militrary equipment for the war effort.

Justness of the Cause was never in question. Still isn't. Reverence for the people of these times is appropriate on Memorial Day.

The inspirational part of this story is "Our fathers came home, kissed the girls & went to work". Didn't compliain much, got a little help with education, housing & such but didn't' need much. All over the World, exist today, the most fantastic civilizations ever, all due to the generation of our fathers.

The Pyamids pale in comparison.

drowlins

Reaction score
I'm a Viet-Vet 18th MP bde, 720th MP btn Co. C (Chargin' Charlie) Did my time at Long Bihn base in 71-72. Things were winding down, and you could feel the panic in the air both from us and the civilians. No one wanted to be the last casualty in that cluster f**k.
Lost a wife due to re enlistment, even though the last two years of my four year hitch was spent in CONUS. But after my discharge, I moved to Kansas where I have family and met my wife of 30 years, so it all came out ok.
Now I watch my neighbors kids, who used to play with my kids go off to war. You would think the world would wise up. Another generation, another war. (there's a song here somewhere).
Thanks to all your well wishes on this sacred day.

Reaction score
Long bihn

Drowlins - My brother-in-law was with the Army at Long Bihn about that time - Jim Daniel from Texas. The night he left, his hooch was bombed - thankful to be gone. He was trandfered into Long Bihn from Na Trang. Tough times...wars & rumors of wars ever present...the world never learns, I am afraid. Kansas is good. Be well....dbs

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I feel bad about the fact that I have not served my country in the military, but the timing was off. My draft number was pulled in the next to the last lottery for Vietnam, and to my relief my number was 299. Vietnam was very unpopular at that time, and I was so fat and uncoordinated that I would have been the "Perfect Target".

My dad and uncles were all WWII veterans.
~ Dad - Aircraft Mechanic at Norfolk, Va.
~ Dad's Brother - Army Bridge Builders in Europe (have pictures he took of General Patton).
~ Mothers Youngest brother - Fighter Aircraft Mechanic in the field.
~ Mothers Middle brother - Radio Corps in Europe
~ Mothers Oldest brother - Youngest B-17 pilot in the 8th Airforce, Highly decorated left wing to the "Memphis Belle".

Now I have nephews in Iraq and England.

My input has been as a Engineer for a Company that built Reconesance planes for the Airforce, worked on a recent Theater scale missile launcher, and now working on the National Missile Defense Program.

I appreciate all of the sacrifice our troops have made to give us our freedoms, whether a army base in Iraq, an air base in Greenland, or radar site on Kwajalein.

My hat is off to each and every one of them!!!
:D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
My situation was similar to yours P. I turned 18 (1975) the year registration was eliminated for the draft. Then about the time I turned 22 or 23, the started registration again, but this time for 18-21 year olds. I did give serious consideration to joining the Marine Corps, at the time I had a pretty serious girlfriend and just couldn't bring myself to leave her. I should have.

I really get emotional thinking about those men and women who have been so selfless as to dedicate their time to the cause of freedom. They certainly don't do it for the money do they?

West