a sensitive ballad

dklsplace

Reaction score
Ah Danny......

Go to http://www.dannygatton.com & check out some of the other clips. If you have high speed internet that is. There is a video clip that was a live jam during the Redneck Jazz Explosion that is incredible. It's a 67mb file & takes a fair amount of time to open even with high speed, but well worth the wait. I'm still amazed at how fast he could play double stops.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well heck, why didn't someone tell me! You mean I've been trying to play with my fingers all of this time and I need a beer bottle and towel to sound good?

Amazing :shock:
West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The diff between his gimmicks and everybody else's is that his sounded good. If you don't see him and you just hear it, he sounds great.

Go to that url above. I can not believe what that guy is doing. I can't even begin to understand it.

But here's another guy who was miserable and came to an early tragic end. When I look at so many great musicians, i wouldn't trade places with hardly any of them. Being a great player rarely makes them happy. And the life of a road musician is hard, and it's even harder for club musicians. I think maybe the session players have it best. My guess is that they don't get into the booze and drugs and divorces and wrecks and fistfights the way the touring musicians do.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ok, ya'll will think I'm way out there with this. But I think sometimes, people who have a lot of turmoil in their lives are the most artistic. Not to mention what they say about genious being on the edge of insanity.

Have you ever noticed that when you are really down about an issue, sometimes you seem to play or sing your best?

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Judging by some of the people I work ith, genius isn't on the edge. It's over.

When I play my best, it makes me feel worse, cuz I know that's the best I'll ever do. I peaked at fourteen. Some would say flatlined.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: Yes, but you tell me Darryl, weren't most prolific poets and writers about a half a bubble off, or at least had various types of sorrow in their lives?

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Man, you're talking about flatlining at 14. When I was about 8, I learned "House of the Rising Sun", "Louie Louie" and "Secret Agent Man" and really stayed stuck right there until late in high school. If my family had heard about the house in New Orleans one more time, I would have been a orphan!

West

Reaction score
Not getting older....better

You know - to be positive about this...I was a driven guitarist and bassist when I was 14. I started writing then, but I felt...well, retarded. I just couldn't get where I felt others were. Our co-producer/lead guitarist was a gifted genius at 18 and I still felt like a rank amateur. But, I kept at it, kept doing my own thing, going my own way...seemingly unable to do anything but take the road less traveled. Well, here I am today writing the best songs of my career, singing better, playing better and enjoying things more. I finally feel like I'm where I always wanted to be. That doesn't mean successful in the world's terms...it means being the best I can be...but it also means having some peace with where I am. So, at 52, I feel like I've finally 'clicked' and know what I'm doing. O, I'm still flying below the radar, but I'm content doing it and I know why I'm doing it.

Talk about 'Geezerology' or maybe that;s 'geezophosy'. Call it what you will, I call it contentment. Thoughts from left field..dbs out.

john_kidder

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:lol: Yes, but you tell me Darryl, weren't most prolific poets and writers about a half a bubble off, or at least had various types of sorrow in their lives?

West

Hey West - you might be interested in "Touched With Fire - Manic-Depressive Illness and The Artistic Temperament", by Kay Jamieson. She's a psychiatrist who gathered a tremendous amount of data about 19th century poets, and concluded that nearly all the poets we've ever heard of were, in fact, either depressive or manic-depressive. The incidence of suicide, incarceration, etc., is just way beyond the norm. It's a hell of a read, and if you're in any way acquainted with anyone who is really creative but can't seem to handle "normal" life, it's a must.

She concludes with a very interesting set of arguments, without conclusion, about whether or not medicating these folks is a good thing to do. If, for instance, Byron and Shelley and Keats and Wordsworth and Browning and Dickinson et al had been fed lithium, perhaps they might not have been so troubled, but they would certainly not have produced some of the world's greatest work.