New GAD50 or Used D-25?

Siwash

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the two Guilds? I'm trying to figure out which route to pursue. Any comments appreciated.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
What year is the D-25? They were the entry level dreadnaught in the Guild lineup for years but they're known for excellent tone and they've held up exceptionally well.

The D-25's were largely made in Westerly, RI. The GAD's are made in China. The D-25's have a nitrocellulose finish, the GADS have a poly finish. The GAD is rosewood, and has excellent workmanship, but I still don't think it can hold a candle to the mahogany D-25 tonally. I've played many, many of both models, and the D-25 sounds way superior to the GAD-50.

If you can find a nice old D-25, snatch it up. Pre-about 1974 they had a flat back and most had a spruce top but some had mahogany. After that they had an arched laminated mahogany back with a spruce top, like mine. I bought mine brand new in '76, and it's still ringing like a bell, and it's held up through a thousand campfires and gigs.

I can't speak to the later model D-25's made after Fender bought out Guild because I've never played one, but anything built in Westerly is likely to be a nice guitar. The jury is still out on Corona, CA built Fender/Guilds, they have a "round" serial # sticker inside, Westerly built models have an "oval" serial# sticker inside. (Easy way to ID them)

Summary: (disclaimer - this is a biased opinion)

You can get a nice vintage D-25 for less than the cost of a GAD-50, and you'll be happier with it.