DV-52

radiodog

Reaction score
Hello,

can anyonyone out there tell me something about the DV-52?
Are the braces generally scalloped on this model?
Thanks and greetings

Peter

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hello Peter,

Yes the bracing on the DV-52 is scalloped. As for other features of the guitar..... it has Indian rosewood back and sides with I believe a AAA spruce top and abalone rosette around the soundhole. I really like mine.

West

radiodog

Reaction score
Guild DV-52 vs. Guild D 52

Hello,

thanks for your friendly answers to my questions about the DV-52. I've just bought one.

I have seen there is also a D 52 which was only built for a short time in the early eighties. Is this model the same as the later DV 52 or is it different?

Greetings from Germany

Peter

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: Guild DV-52 vs. Guild D 52

radiodog said:
I have seen there is also a D 52 which was only built for a short time in the early eighties. Is this model the same as the later DV 52 or is it different?

Hello Peter,

There are some similarities and there is a connection but it's not the same model.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Hey there WRL. What exactly is scalloped bracing, compared to what other kind of bracing?., the bracing I guess having a lot to do with the sound coming out of the guitar.
Benee Wafers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

I'll try to explain to the best of my ability. Hans, or anyone with more knowledge, feel free to correct me. Your input would be appreciated.

It is my understanding, that scalloped bracing has a rounded top edge and tapered ends. If you look inside the DV-52, you can see this. Scalloped bracing is a little more delicate way to brace guitar tops and is designed to enhance the vibration, and therefore the sound of the guitar. It is also my understanding that if your guitar is scallop braced, since it is more delicate than standard bracing, you should use only light gauge strings, as the scalloped bracing does not quite have the strength of standard bracing and has less ability to counter the added tension of heavier strings. This has never been an issue with me since all I've ever used on any of my guitars is light gauge or bluegrass gauge strings. Both my JF-30 and D-25 have the arched back, so I don't have another Guild acoustic to compare the back bracing with. I believe my DV-72 is braced identically to my DV-52.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The braces on my F20 are definitely not scalloped, the ends of the braces are tapered in a straight line, maybe a 60 degree angle. Rather crudely actually, looks like with a rasp.

The braces on the DV62 radiused and sanded smooth to the taper, adds some time to building the guitar.

I don't know if it make much difference, some I would think, removing any mass should be of benefit.

Should I ever have the top off my F20 I'd probably sand off the rasp marks.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Funny you should say that Jeff, I've heard that several times. Several people have mentioned rasp marks on their bracing, almost like the guitar was not fully completed. I've never heard any of them complain about the sonic ability of them though.

Like you, I've always assumed that the removal of as much mass from the top bracing could do nothing but enhance sound.

:lol: There was a Taylor guitar listed on Ebay recently which the seller touted the custom modification he had a luthier do to his acoustic. He stated in the listing that he had some of the top bracing removed. I remember thinking to myself, "Who in their right mind would actually remove top bracing from an acoustic, installed by the manufacturer?" Now that is removing some mass! :D

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not buying the "light strings only" comment for the Dv-52. I've been playing D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums on mine exclusively, and no problems. I just can't get the tone I prefer out of the lights, and they don't last nearly as long, either. The only one I put lights on is my F-512.

C'mon, these ain't those wimpy - topped Taylors we're talking about here! :D

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
As is often the case I thought I knew something only to find out I knew something that wasn't so.

Thanks radiodog for the clarification.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Radiodog thank you very much.I certainly know more now than I did 10 minutes ago.!
AND I had never seen the inside of a guitar like that before either!
What a valuable contribution you have made.

And thank you WRL !!

Thank you.
Benee Wafers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No problem Benee, a picture says a thousand words. I found that article to be very interesting myself. You really can learn so much here. By the way Benee, I looked in the Guild manual and I thought I'd let you know that they do recommend L350 strings which are .012-.053 on the DV-52. Not trying to say I told you so, just checked after we talked and found that.

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Hey West.
What did I say to the contrary? I don't temember saying anything about strings. And I don;t recall anywhere that Guild every recommended any other string than their own L350
Benee