Rap

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Subject would have been Rap Music, except it isn't music.

Should Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell or the FBI for that matter ever take on the Rap music abomination I would be inclined to look the other way while my civil rights were violated.

Whatever pitiful Art lost to posterity would a very reasonable trade to have the stuff removed from the planet.

bobgoblin

Reaction score
that's quite a sweeping generalization. imagine what would have happened if the religious right or the 'authorities' had thought to do the same to son house, leadbelly, woody guthrie, bob dylan, duke ellington, or you. i assure you that for each musician named above, there is a parallel working in the rap 'world'.

we evolved w/ears on the outside of our heads so we could better hear the world around us, we evolved w/hands to cover our ears to avoid the crap we don't want to hear!

dklsplace

Reaction score
I think rap is dying out, in a similar fashion to disco. There will always be some going on somewhere, but it's not long in the mainstream.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Violent and misogynist rap may not be long for this world, for which we can be thankful, but hip-hop, spoken word, and others of that ilk are, to my mind, where "folk music" is being created these days.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I remember when "rap" meant to sit around and shoot the breeze. Can't bring myself to comment any further on the subject. Not without getting angry anyway.

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Jeff I think its safe to say that your topic has been shot down
Best to leave it at that.
BW

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Rap, hip-hop whatever, is big with our native Maori here. So are hoodies, big pants and a Maori version of some sort of gangster talk.
All thoroughly loathsome rubbish !!

BUT WAIT ! Didn't my dad and his generation decry the new fangled rubbish that I loved as a teen?

AND, I've heard what might be the genesis of rap in some blues music.

Could be an every-generation old geezer thing guys.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I know what you're saying Coastie, but I have yet to hear any "music" in rap. Just a beat and a bunch of talk, usually profane. Am I missing something?

West

Reaction score
I think rap was created by people too lazy or untalented to actually learn to play an instrument. What gets me is - where did all the great ethnic musicians go? Look at the talent in bands like Tower of Power, Commodores, Earth Wind and Fire and all the great Motown artists just to name a few. Now if you can scratch on a record and rhyme your curse words you're an artist.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Simmer down, folks. You really do sound like our parents (and theirs too, and so on). Name the generation - "that new-fangled jazz - swing - rythm and blues - rock and roll - protest music - disco - what-have-you", on and on goes the same refrain.

Some rap will survive - the original was pretty hard-hitting political commentary which delivered a much-needed message. The later "move your booty and I'll cover it with bling" crap, or, worse, the "mess with me and I'll rape you/pop a cap in you" - that has no content, it won't last.

But there's always new music and new musical forms. I'll bet there were lots of equivalent geezers out there who thought it was heresy to go to the tempered scale in the 1700s.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
You guys are white huh?
Rap is black ghetto rebellion poetry put to a beat
Its huge popularity does mean that its relevant and meaningful to an awful lot of people. Peolple who like it.
Often times it speaks of sex and violence. That's their world baby.
Some listeners live it or have lived it and relate, some emulate.
The one thing that Rap prides itself on are the words.Put aside the sound for a moment and check out some words. I guess Eminem is as good a place to start as any. Check out the rhyme schemes, the meter the meaning and in the end the prosody.
There is craft to alot of it and the proper use of craft makes art.
Benee Wafers
p.s. If I'm not mistaken sex, violence and rebellion was the largest part of rock & roll and prolly a large part of your late teens or early 20's.
Look like you guys didn't learn much from San Francisco.
Peace & love

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

Ok, I'll try to be objective and still make a point. You are correct in saying that there were vices sometimes mentioned in the music that we listened to in the 60's, 70's and 80's. One of my favorite songs is Clapton's "Cocaine". Not for the words, I don't do cocaine, but for the music. My gosh, if you can't appreciate the lead in that song, you shouldn't be too interested in discussing Guild guitars here. It is music.

There is no music in "rap". "Rap" is bad poetry with a beat. How much talent does it take to write a profane poem and recite it to a drum beat? The operative word here is music. You'll never convince me that any "rapper" is a musician.

West :)

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Ah musician!!
My pop told me a musician is a person who can read and write music. i tend to agree.
So you're prolly right WRL.

Accept2

Reaction score
Rap evolved from the talking blues. Perhaps we should kill off rap at its roots and get rid of blues as well?................

john_kidder

Reaction score
Here's a pale sort of fellow telling a philosophical tale, with a rappy sort of medium. Is this music?

Eminem v. Nietzsche

Seems to have an odd sort of message to me, of interest to some, not to many, but it carries. Is this music?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Went out to dinner with my family tonight. Came to a stop light & a vehicle pulled up next to me with the windows down. The unending stream of profanity upon profanity spewing out it's sound system made me have to roll up my windows & say a few words to my 2 & 5 year old boys in the back seat about the use of "bad words."

Twern't no music there. :x

Squawk

Reaction score
As distasteful as I find a lot of rap, I agree it would be hypocritical for me to criticize today's kids like I was criticized for listening to distasteful music in my youth (Fugs, Mothers of Invention come to mind). Having said that, I must admit just watching a couple of rap videos has given me a greater appreciation of the music my daughter plays - NYHC punk (New York Hard Core). And most important - she plays it on a Guild (early 80's Aviator).