Lacquers: Nitro-cellulose and the Others

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I thought some of you might find this interesting. This is a direct quote from a 1997 issue of Guild Gallery Magazine "A Guild Guide".

" The art of finishing acoustic guitars is critical to the production process. The finish on an acoustic guitar impacts both it's durability and it's sonic charictaristics. Recently, there has been great pressure upon the guitar industry to reduce pollutants associated with finishing, and Guild has responded to this pressure by developing our exclusive hand-rubbed satin finish and by researching other methods.

Unlike many other manufacturers, however, Guild has not made any changes to the finishing of high gloss acoustics. Guild still finishes its high gloss acoustics with nitro-cellulose lacquer, as it always has. Nitro-cellulose is the lacquer attributed to violin-maker Antonio Stradivari and is the traditional lacquer used on nearly all high quality musical instruments since Stradivari.

Several guitar makers now finish their instruments with polyester or polyurethane finishes. These finishes have an excellent appearance when executed properly, but these finishes are very hard and therefore they restrict the necessary vibration of the top. Using this type of finish on solidbody electrics or laminated-top acoustics is acceptable, but solid spruce tops need to be finished with nitro-cellulose. Otherwise, they will not breathe, vibrate and produce the warm wood tone that has been prized by musicians for countless years."

Boy, that was a mouthful! Does that settle the finish question? I especially like the part about that obscure violin maker using nitro.

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
The question is relative WRL. That is Guilds version.
Wasn't it you that renounced Taylors version?
Hey my nitro'd D55 is enroute and I am not supporting either nitro or poly.
I have a GADSTER 40C with poly which is sounding great and I have a nitro D55 which is going to sound greater.
My 77 F212XL I guess was nito'd and it sounds magnificent.
It is simply not possible to scientifically prove the point or get a consensus, except perhaps on this board with a bunch of Geriatric Guilders :roll:
Benee Wafers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Great idea Don. Hey Benee, I was just throwing that out there since we had the long discussion about it previously. It was just kind of interesting that I picked up this old magazine and there it was. By the way, I've never heard Taylor's version. What did Taylor say?

West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Remember I posted it in our previous discussion on this board.
You must have read it, about Polys, which Taylor uses exclusively now and UV drying etc etc.
Do a search under Benee Wafers and its certain to turn up. I provided a link to the site.
BW

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Cool, let us know how you like it. I really do like the burst. I think it looks great with the abalone. Congrats.

West

dklsplace

Reaction score
Well...lets put together a submission for the Mythbusters here & designate someone to submit it to thier website from all of us here at LTG.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
In Roger Siminoff's book "The Luthiers Handbook", he describes a scientific test program that he did where he was trying to proove how much difference light bracing affects the sound of an acoustic. As part of that study, he also ran a series of tests of the vibrational characteristics of different thicknesses of Lacquer. It is very interesting and I believe he touches on the polyurethane as well.

That is a very good place to decide this issue for yourself. Forever lacquer for me!!!
8)

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My experience with Lacquer is as a woodworker. Couldn't say for sure if the Lacquer used by guitar bulders is significantly different to the products I have used but I've sprayed gallons of the stuff in my shop & can understand why industry might prefer to use other less volatile finishes. The vapors as it is applied and cures make short work of any insects lurking about in the crevices & shadows. A good respirator is not optional.

Lacquer is cool to use, very forgiving & it dries like magic. Basically, if you can't make it look good with lacquer you're doing something wrong.

The difference between lacquer & the old "long fibre" finishes even on old, seasoned pieces is pretty easy to detect. Laquer is pretty tough but more brittle, chips & fractures easier, while the tradional, high end, varnishes seem to retain more flexibility.

Regarding guitar building the answer may just be too obvious. Likely Lacquer is just plain harder and vibrates better, certaily differently, than other more durable & less lethal products.