GF50 12-string

steverok

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know if this a traditional Guild jumbo size ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-ACOUSTIC-ELEC ... dZViewItem

It looks a little leaner than the others I have seen. One of these in a burst finish may sit well in my arsenal, or natural is always nice too. There are no reviews available for this instrument. Anyone familiar with this model ? Shall I assume it would fill a room with an unbelievable sound ? What are your feelings about maple vs. rosewood, in the world of Guild jumbo 12-strings ? Thanks.

Reaction score
Small jumbo

Steverok -- It's a limited run small jumbo - in line with my beloved Gruhn-designed GF25s (the bottom of the line - but one of only two models with arched backs, including the maple GF30). There was a thread on this somewhere else discussing nut & hip size and such specs, but I cannot find it right now for the life of me. Perhaps someone else has the wherewithall. I haven't seen one before and didn't know they existed either, but Hans weighed in about them. What a beauty, eh?! Cheers! dbs

steverok

Reaction score
Am I allowed to ask, here, about what would be a fair price for such an instrument ? Of course, I have almost nothing to go by.

Reaction score
How much is that doggie?

Steverok -- I've no idea either, but I feel like older instruments are at that "what the market will bear" stage. I pay generally around $6-700 for my GF25s (I have 3, Dirt) and I think that's a fair price. I paid about the same for my F112s, I would say that given the current market, the shape of the instrument, the rarety of them and the fact that the seller has a starting bid of $999, I would say you'll pay at least $1,000 and possibly more. Personally, I think $1,000 is a fair price for a sight-unseen, but if I really wanted it, I could see $2-300 more. Others may feel they're worth more, especially since one doesn't see them everyday. West, P, Dred, Hans, Don....any of you have any opinions to offer here? dbs

steverok

Reaction score
The seller lists the nut width as 1 11/16 ", which seems awfully narrow for an acoustic 12-string. The F512 is listed as 1 13/16 ", whereas the GAD-212, which lists as 1 11/16" on the Guild site, is actually 1 14/16".

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll give you my opinion, but it won't help you make your decision I'm afraid. I am a big believer in paying whatever you as a buyer are comfortable with. If you really want a GF-25 and it looks and smells like a good deal, go for it.

Some of the things that I have done to help ensure my transactions are to not only check the feedback of the seller, but call them if a phone number is available. Many times, I have written people (Ebay) members and asked them how their transaction with a buyer went. Just flat out asked them if they would deal with that seller again. You'd be surprised at how many people will respond. Look at some of the items the seller has sold in the past. What were the winning bids on most of those items? Has the seller always been a buyer and rarely sold? These things will help you make your decision and it makes it a lot easier when an Ebay auction gets down to a few seconds and you're trying to decide if you should hit the bid button.

Some folks would think I was nuts, but a while back I bought my DV-72 that way. To me at first, to send a guy $2000 for a guitar sight unseen, was insane, but after talking with him on the phone and checking him out online and writing other Ebay members who had dealt with him, I was OK with it. It is my favorite guitar. I know folks that have still gotten burned on Ebay however, and there will always be an element of risk when you can't inspect an item prior to purchase.

My advice to you would be to do all of your homework. Smith has a great deal of experience and given you a fair price estimate for the model in his opinion. And if it feels good, do it!

I hope this helps you,
West

john_kidder

Reaction score
I'm with West. Here's a bit I sent to the D-25 thread in this same "Acoustic/Acoustic-Electric" group on this same board:

1: the quality of the instrument - if you're buying a guitar that has a good reputation (for me, that means Guild), and if you've done your reearch about the models and relative prices, then you should be reasonably confident, assuming full disclosure from the seller, you'll get predictable value. I don't think that a D-25 from a particular period at Guild is likely to be TOO dramatically different from another D-25 at the same period, although of course there are subtle and not-so-subtle differences that you'll only know with a guitar in hand. Get hold of Hans Moust's wonderful book, and you'll know all there is to know about Guilds up to 1977, survey the posts on this board and on Fender Forum - Guilds and you'll get a ton of more recent info.

2: the quality of the seller - feedback does tell tales. More important (for me) is the quality of conversation I set up with every seller. I've bought only one eBay guitar without at least some chatter with the seller, and that was not a good move. Ask lots of questions, ask for more photos, inquire about eveything that's not disclosed in the listing - in addition to the information, you'll rapidly get a sense of the kind of person you're dealing with. Like any business deal, that's the single most valuable piece of information.

3: use Paypal for your transaction. If you get completely burned, you'll get almost all your money back. It works.

4: be sure that you have an approval period and right to return if not satisfactory. You'll have to eat shipping both ways, so there's some risk there for sure. Don't allow sellers to give you "returns OK if the item is different from the listing" - all listings and write-ups are to some degree subjective, and an "invisible ding" to some is a major flaw to others, a "tiny crack in the finish" can turn out to be a major structural flaw that requires immediate repair, etc. The return policy needs to be clear - if you don't like it, you get to send it back. A savvy seller will also ask you to refund his/her eBay listing fee, but that's small potatoes.

I honestly believe that if you keep to these simple rules you have an extremely good chance of making a highly satisfactory deal. I've been truly burned only once (no conversation with the seller, and no shipment at all, see Paypal comments above). I know I'm sticking my neck out here, and that many of the folks on this board categorically refuse to buy a guitar unless they have a chance to play it. I completely understand that philosophy. On the other hand, because eBay does have some real and some perceived risks, the average prices on eBay are generally lower than they are in a retail store.

I'm sure there will be other comments, and not all in agreement. However you decide to get your first Guild, I wish you the best of success.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
I agree with those guys on the positive aspects of e bay.
If you follow what they say you will be very pleased. I have purchased from e bay a Fender Telecaster, a 40C Gadster and a vintage F212XL.
All were great deals IMO and the guitars were all great.
The F212XL ( Hog & Spruce) sure does fill a room. I don't know about that
one. Looks like a mini Jumbo.
Should do quite well.
That's a good price as it stands but it will go for a lot more IMO
Benee Wafers

steverok

Reaction score
Well, the seller appears to be one of these "we sell your stuff on eBay" houses, so none of my questions have been answered. Even with a rare and potentially great item like this, it's hard to pull the trigger when you can't even ask the owner a question.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
That's true. You know thru e bay you can get the phone number of the vendor. Even if it is a clearing house maybe there is away to talk to the owner? Find out what the purchase terms are. You may have 7 days to inspect the guitar and return it if unhappy. If you're really gasing for it you've gotta make the effort. But like I said I figure it will get auctioned off quite high perhaps making it not worthwhile.
Benee

john_kidder

Reaction score
Benee Wafers said:
thru e bay you can get the phone number of the vendor

I thought you could only get phone and other contact info for someone with whom you're engaged in a transaction. I think you have to place a bid first before that information is made available.

songsmith7

Reaction score
I'm thinking about hitting it. I work 20 minutes away from Palm Desert, so I could pick it up in person. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. I have a feeling I'd be in trouble with the lady of the house, though. Especially since it looks so much like another member of the household.