Stuff we listen to ??????

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don. The chatter under "Best Guitar Licks" makes me wonder if this might be worthwhile. I'd love to share information with interested parties.
I do wish though, that more members would ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

That's a right smart idea, I've been cruisin down nostalgia highway ever since you reminded me of Ry Cooder.

Sorted thru my CD's lookin for Ry Cooder's get rythym. The Redhead actually found it for me. Took it with me yesterday on a fishing day with two of my grandsons, 2 & 4. Had a great day, heard some different music, little boys shrieking with laughter and fish flopping on the dock.

Forgot about the CD till the 4 year old asked if the radio worked. Had two little boys tappin their feet in the back seat. Day got even better.

dklsplace

Reaction score
In fact, I had a music section on the old forum that surprisingly went silent for months at a time. Certainly a good idea here.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Upon which subject, let me commend for your listening pleasure..........
Dr. Feelgood, and more specifically, Essex geezer Wilko Johnson.
I don't know if these guys ever appeared in a town near you, but they must be hot contenders for the title of World's Touringest Band.
If you love stripped-down, bare bones R&B, this is your kind of band.
Wilko Johnson has an UTTERLY unique Tele style - my hands down Tele hero. He left the band after their first three albums.
Look for these albums : Down By The Jetty (GrandCD 05)
Malpractice (Columbia CK34098)
Stupidity + (EMI CDP7959342)

Oh, and if you're not going to play it loud, you probably shouldn't bother !!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've been listening to

-"American Hips" by Jim Campilongo, sort of Roy Buchanan meets Mancini in a NYC Jazz club, brilliant mostly instrumental guitar record with two vocal tunes by Norah Jones.
-"Mi Humilde Corazon" by Paulino Bernal y su original Conjunto Bernal, on Arhoolie - fantastic singing and accordion playing, vintage conjunto music.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Arlo Guthrie

Checked back on Arlo Guthrie recently, I'ver been working on Alices Restaurant & City of New Orleans for years, thought I check up to see how I was doing. Better than before.

I had forgotten over half of the songs. "Coming into Los Angeles", "Last Train", "Darkest Hour", Last to Leave.

I don't know who is strokin that electric rythm chirp on Darkest Hour, it's kind of a mando soft sweet chop, but it's nice, the whole darn tune is nice.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Still listen to a bunch of old stuff......Eagles, Santana, Doobie Brothers, etc. Lately, I've really been enjoying the music of an Australian guy named Keith Urban. Very sophisticated country, pop in my view. Urban is an accomplished guitarist and has a tremendous voice. I think he's the most talented new star.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Al DiMeola's Elegant Gypsy comes out of the LP stack occasionally.

Ottmar Liebert CD usually doesn't get too dusty.

California Guitar Trio does some serious, Religious, Spritual Rock & Roll,
Ventures songs. Any guitar player who doesn't appreciate what these cats do to the Ventures hits just plain missed something somewhere.

Coastie,

I've seen you refer to something like catalogue numbers when discussing some material. Would you mind sharing any reference sources you know of.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff. All the catalogue numbers I've quoted so far are for articles in my own possession.

Best reference work I've come across is the "All Music Guide To.........."

Rock: ISBN 087930653X
The Blues: ISBN 0879307366
Jazz: ISBN 0879305304
Single Volume, All Styles: ISBN 0879306270

I have the Rock and Blues volumes and they are indispensable.
I have had these for a year or three, there may be updated versions.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Picked up a John Prine bit on Public TV the other eve. Caused me to play his CD and revisit "Hello In There"

Managed to pick most of it up again, in my own fashion, from the record. A realativley new development for me.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff, I think quite possibly the only guitar thats sung more John Prine songs than my old D-25 is Prine's own guitar. :D I've been a Prinehead since 1973 when I saw him on public TV (not far from you, up on Whidbey Island.)

My band had a gig last Friday night, we did "Paradise", and "I Hate it When That Happens to Me".

Some of my other Prine faves, almost all fingerpicked with a thumb and 2 fingers,

"Souvenirs" in D
"Far From Me" in A (Capo up 2 and play in G)
"Grampa Was A Carpenter" in A, do the capo thing on this one too

His latest album is full of good stuff too, 16 songs :D :D

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
I don't even know what I am supposed to be replying to now, but will try.

I have been listening a lot to some early Doc Watson. I tried Springsteen's "Seegar Sessions" but that seems like a lot of screaming into a mike to me, so I went to a Pete Wernick Bluegrass video that I could play along with.

Always, John Fogerty or CCR when I need a reprieve.

I don't watch TV except during NFL season, so I have time to do other things.

CK

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dred,

Except for the Camel Cigarettes, Prine could'a been singing bout my Grampa.

I'm an old man but on a good day Hello in There can tear me up.

You ever come to my town & play those songs I'll come see ya & bring a few friends.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I'm about due for another trip back to the Seattle area. Sure is a beautiful place, especially summer. When I was stationed out there, Heart was playing the Seattle scene. I'll never forget the Led Zeppelin concert at the Seattle Center in March '75 either, paid $10 apiece for those tickets. They used to have concerts downtown in the coliseum, too, saw Pink Floyd there and here was a strange show there: Ravi Shankar opened for Robin Trower 8)

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The opera house is my favorite place for concerts. Saw Willie Nelson there a few years back. Hardly any bad seats in the house. Fabulous acoustics. He played what I think is the same guitar he has now, the one with the big hole picked in the top.

As a matter of fact Willie has a Cable Video out right now featuring that guitar. Stardust or something a bit swingy like it. Long sexy closeups of the guitar , with Willies Knarly old hands caressing it all over. Pretty sexy. I'm not sure what kind of guitar it is but that hole is pretty big & getting bigger.

There's a piece of Americana, "Willie's Guitar: I'm votin to have it in the Smithsonian after Willie's gone & Doyle Dyke comes in once a week to tune it & pick Willie's songs on Public TV.

Last Time I was in the Collisseum was for John Denver. My sis gave us tickets on my Birthday. It was a first class show, had great seats & could see all the pickers. I can still see all the acoustics set up & ready on the stage. Seemed like hundreds & those boys lit em up.

First time I was there was for Jefferson Airplane. You figure out how far back that was. Someone let loose some nasty stink bombs in the ventilation. Most in the audience were so loaded they didn't know the difference. Gettin older isn't all bad.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, when I saw Robn Trower there we had the Bob Euker seats, way up high. The air was stratified such that all the smoke rose to the top of the coliseum, and lets just say there was no need to roll your own, up there all we needed to do was breathe... :?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mary Gauthier Mercy Now

Picked up a bit from Mary Gauthier recently. Mercy now.

One of the coolest Prayers I ever heard. Also hate to admit it but mucic video's can be powerful. Worth a a look if you haven't seen it.

Reaction score
All ears

Here's a short list of somethings that I've had on a good bit:

Bruce Cockburn - Speechless
Dakota Moon - A Place To Land
Orleans - The Essentials
The Lovin' Spoonful - Greatest Hits
The Association - The Association (produced by band & john Boylan in '69 - VERY cool)
Bruce Cockburn - Youve Never Seen Everything
The Grass Roots - The Essentials
Jackson Browne - Solo Acoustic I
The Bangles - Doll Revolution

Some great stuff there...dbs

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jackson Browne

Smith,

Thanks for bringing up Jackson Browne, I bought Running on Empty a While Back and forgot about it. Never opened it.

Short term memory symptoms? A bit scary.

Anyway, I ran it round once, & then realized I had purchased Peter Paul & Mary Platinum at the same time.

A noistalgic impulse purchase but all I have of PP&M is vinyl.

Got distracted & can't give an honest opinion on Running on Empty. Peter Paul & Mary was worth the $12.00. Some nice Dylan and I think John Denver songs.

"Tiny Sparrow" is one of the best tunes in my limited repoitoire (sp) One of the few tunes I am confident you would recognize.