F212XL Opinions

steverok

Reaction score
Hello all, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on my first Westerly Guild - a jumbo mahogany 12-string. Any opinions on the F212XL versus other jumbo 12-strings ? Also, approximately what price range is considered fair for a vintage (1970s) Westerly Guild in good condition ?

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Steve I just bought a Guild F212XL. Had it about 2 weeks now. Sound is magnificent. Pretty big guitar...17" across. It's a fairly wide neck, fairly chunky but you will come to appreciate the support.
Something you should know about Guilds of that age and especially 12's, which I learned thru research is that it will prolly need a neck reset.
You will also want to know about the bridge being flush to the sounboard and that the soundboard is not " bellying ".
It is one hell of a guitar, lots of volume, sustain, bottom end and above all is very well balanced tonally.
Like I said, the sound is magnificent.
Benee Wafers

steverok

Reaction score
As far as I know, the guitar is in fine shape, other than what-is-described-as "some finish checking", all over the body of the guitar. I don't really know what that looks like, or if it is something that is easily accepted as OK.

steverok

Reaction score
I can also get a JF30-12, maple-bodied. Can anyone offer opinions, comparing the jumbo-bodied maple, mahogany, and rosewood 12-string Westerly Guilds. For instance, a JF30-12, compared to a F212XL, compared to a JF55-12 or F512. I'll have to buy sight unseen, so any prior experience would be of tremendous help. I want it to sound warm, sparkly, full, and beautiful. Not too trebly, great for strumming or flat-picking, full bass and balanced sound. Oh, I'd like it to be loud too.

William63

Reaction score
steverok said:
I can also get a JF30-12, maple-bodied. Can anyone offer opinions, comparing the jumbo-bodied maple, mahogany, and rosewood 12-string Westerly Guilds. For instance, a JF30-12, compared to a F212XL, compared to a JF55-12 or F512. I'll have to buy sight unseen, so any prior experience would be of tremendous help. I want it to sound warm, sparkly, full, and beautiful. Not too trebly, great for strumming or flat-picking, full bass and balanced sound. Oh, I'd like it to be loud too.

I own a Guild F512 and not only is it very loud it is also warm in tone and has a good bass response. It sure is pretty to look at and the action is set very low. I purchased mine sight unseen and I was not disapointed. Mine is a 2005 Tacoma built model.

steverok

Reaction score
I like the description of the rosewood models, in terms of sound. Did they ever make a stripped-down, rosewood, jumbo 12-string, like the maple JF30 or mahogany F212, without the extra appointments ? I'm pretty much a zen man in terms of inlays and what-not.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Steve
I have previous experience with the JF30, having rented one for a month before getting the F212. The JF30 is a very good 12 string and with IMO a much slimmer neck( I don't know the numbers though)
I would say it is much more player friendly than the F212XL IMO
The XL may be considered awkward by some.
I'd have to give the edge in terms of overal sound to the XL, not only in volume but in depth, warmth, sustain and overall mojo.
The F212XL does not come with any fancy shmancy.It is a straight ahead guitar, no frills.
Benee Wafers

steverok

Reaction score
I'll check that out. On an aside, my office mate (next cubicle over) played my GAD 12-string, and concluded that he had to have a 12-string. He ordered a Washburn jumbo maple 12-string from MF. Once MF notified him that they were back-ordered, I starting working on him, showing him pictures of Westerly Guilds, and telling him what I have learned about them, after I had already purchased my GAD. Anyway, yesterday, he cancelled the Washburn, and ordered a 90s Westerly JF30-12 maple jumbo. I think I am more excited than he is.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I think a 212 XL is not only the best buy in a production 12 but could also be the best production 12 ever made. And since that's my opinion, everybody should buy one off the internet sight unseen and sound unheard. And then you'll sing to me, "Oh baby you know what I like."