D25: arched back vs. flat? D25 vs D35?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey all,
I have been lurking for a couple months now... and am about ready to add to "my" collection of Guild flat tops. I have a '72 D35 that I bought in Jan 1973 (when I was 17) that has a beautiful mellow tone (but has seen some hard roads), and a '78 D35 (that really belongs to my wife) that has a bit more "nasal" quality to its tone (but is in much better cosmetic ondition).

I was thinking of trying to find a vintage '72-78 D25 (just to have something besides D35s). Does anyone care to comment on the tonal differences between the arch backed D25s vs the earlier flat backs? or between the mahogony D25s and the spruce-topped D25s or D35s of the same vintage? I know when I chose my first, I compared the D25 and D35... but cannot remember if I made my decision based on sound, looks, or both.

Thanks,
Dave

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
hi Dave. My advice, get one of each, end of dilemma! :D

Actually, I've not actually played a wide variety of D-25 types, but I can certainly recommend the D-25M with bowed back and spruce top if you can find one in good shape. They sure made a bunch of D-25's!

My buddy and I both bought new Guilds 30 years ago,mine a D-25M and his a D-35, and we both still have 'em.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've thought of that...

Thanks drednut... I am semi-seriously considering doing just that, then keeping the one I like best and re-selling the other. I would end up eating the shipping costs, and perhaps not recouping what I paid for the one I sell. I would really love to have the D50 that will sell on E-bay tonight, but I think it is a bit too rich for my blood!

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey GardMan!

I have had my '74 D-25 (arched back with Spruce top) for about 13 years. It was a consolation guitar when I was forced to sell my Brazilian Rosewood HD-28 Martin.

The D-25 holds it's own pretty well in balance and loudness and even tone when you keep in mind that I sold the HD-28 for $3700.00 and bought the D-25 for $500.00. I have the dark burgundy back color and what I call a milk chocolate front color. I am now using it on stage and have gotten a lot of good comments about the looks and sound of the Guild.

The Sunburst D-40 I got last Christmas and it has a real nice tone and will be even better after I refret it.

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
I've heard that the older arched backs have a stronger bass response and is overall louder than the flat-topped backs. I own a flat-topped Corona D-25M (Mahogany top/back/sides) and it took a little getting used to but ive grown accustomed to and now really enjoy the warm tone it projects but my only wish is that it were a little louder. Good bass though. Hope this helps! Everyone on this forum was extremely helpful w/ me when i made my purchase.

songsmith7

Reaction score
My '73 D-25 is all-mahogany with the flat back and I've compared it to the spruce top, arched back versions that came later. To me, the all-mahog is preferable to the spruce for fingerstyle playing. Dark and woody, it sounds like an M-20 on steroids, but I agree that it doesn't have the volume of the spruce top version when flat-picked or strummed. It's really a question of style and what you're going to be using either for.