Let me tell you about my F112

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
I found one! Its a 1974 model with ohsc. I traded my D25 for it... it was a great guitar, but I'm getting less dread oriented these days.

First of all, let me tell you: This is a wonderful guitar. I've owned many 12 strings over the years, and this body shape/size seems to be perfectly suited for 12 string... balance and chime! Before this guitar, I thought that the Larrivee L body was best for 12 strings-- now, I stand corrected. It can surely handle anything that I need from a 12 string, unless of course I were to join a Moody Blues tribute band and need to play "Question" every night... but it would probably handle that ok too.

Two questions to you F112 owners (hello Mr. Smith!): The prior owner always tuned down to D and used a capo. I know that is the smart thing to do, but has anyone tuned their F112 to concert pitch for prolonged periods of time without problem?

Second, have you ever tried to string it as a 6 string guitar? Some 12 strings sound great when you do that, others sound crappy... I'll probably try it at some point, but I was hoping to maybe save a set a strings if this model can't handle the occasional 6 string duty.

Thanks!

Bob

Reaction score
Guild Total
My first good guitar was an F112, which really hacked off my guitar teacher ("What did you buy THAT for???"). I kept it tuned to concert pitch for years, and now is unplayable with a pulled top and needs a neck reset, which might be something that all 12 strings due in time, but it is still sad. I have a F412 of the same 1971 vintage I bought used that has been and still gets tuned to Eb. It had a neck reset before I bought it.

Most everyone I've ever known tunes a 12 string to Eb or D, unless its a brand new Taylor or something. I even tune my Rickenbacker down.

Reaction score
F112 to the rescue

Gretschbigsby -- As you probably already know, I only play in open tuning and it has been a couple decades since I used standard tuning. However, I have two F112s, one kept tuned in Open C (CGCEGC) and one in Open D (DADF#AD). The 69 Hoboken (C) was kept as a 6-string for a while - but I found the spacing too open for me without a nut change, so it went back to 12. The '69 has never had a neck reset.

The 73 has had a neck reset - I did it when I purchased it a couple of years ago. I've never kept my guitars tuned down when I was playing in standard tuning. I had several F112s before these and always kept them with light strings on them and in standard tuning, without problem. I've gotten differing opinions from different luthiers about it - no clear edge to one opinion or another. As far as whether 12s always have neck resets...I think it varies with the guitars. Like I said, to my knowledge, the Hoboken has never had a rest. My 1975 G37 dreadnaught has never had or needed a rest. My 1988 G25 has never nad a reset. In fact, the only guitar I own which had or needed a reset was that 73. And it is an incredible guitar - was before and just showing signs of needing a reset - and is especially now with a great reset job by Holger Notzel (Komet Amps/Riverfront Music).

I know a lot of players with old guitars who have never had resets - a lot of 12 players, too. So, I believe it varies - depends upon the guitar, its use, the original work on it, where it is geographically and the environment in which it's kept, how it's set-up, everything. Resets are expensive, but they can really give a guitar new life - especially one you feel has magic in it.

That's about all I can tell you. Only my experiences and opinions and we all have those. Best to you and enjoy that F112. Cheers! dbs