Corona Guild D-55 Blonde acoustic guitar

carson17912

Reaction score
Hello Guild people! It's been a long time since I've written to the board. My last message was about meeting the Guild salesman for the northeast at K&S music at Paxinos Pa. After much research into the "new" Guilds, and being satisfied with looking over some vintage D-55s, I broke down and purchased a new corona made D-55 in blonde as I'm accustomed. I have to say that I am happy with the new instrument. It's tone as always for a Guild is magnificent. The projection of all strings is even and bold. It is a GREAT guitar. The serial numbers of my baby is: CV000935. Pictures will follow. Please believe me, you can buy these new Guilds with confidence. The price I paid was $1,699.00. It is a guitar I will always cherish. carson

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Congrats on the new D55 Carson
Are there any detailing shortfalls on the guitar?
For example the pick guard, does it seem to be of inferior quality, in comparison to the rest of the guitar?
Was the book matched back perfect in every way?
Was the finish on the sound board perfect or do you notice run/drip lines in the finish, particularly around the pick guard?
I presume you scrutinized every inch of the guitar from head to toe?
Was it perfect in all respects?
Benee Wafers

carson17912

Reaction score
info on the guild

Thanks for your reply and questions. Yes I went over the guitar THAT closely. K&S owner Dave and the Guild regional sales manager. Every detail of the instrument is as perfect as you can imagine for GUILD. Keep in mind that the guild people told me that they are determined to maintain the great Guild name and compete with martin, taylor, and gibson. The finish on the soundboard is shiny and perfect, no runs, no smears. The pickguard is brownish tortise look and up to standard. The back is matched perfectly to my eye and everyone at K&S who helped look at it. when we checked it out against the three other brands mentioned, to my ear it sounded like a GUILD which to my ear is superior to the other three. K&S has a $13,000 martin in stock and it is a beautiful piece of instrument, but THIS D-55 sounded and felt in my hands and fingers to be BETTER. I always thought the Martin bass in too boomey. The month or so between my last post and last night's post has been in research over these questions and I am completely satisfied that the new GUILDS are and will be GREAT instruments long after I'm gone and that is good news for guitarists now and in the future. carson

6L6

Reaction score
I owned a Corona-built D-50 that was a superior instrument in every way.

But I eventually succumbed to bling and went for a new Tacoma-built D-55. Like the D-50 (and my '74 D-40), it is just a superior instrument and will be staying in my stash until I take that final "dirt nap".

I just don't buy the jive that Westerly Guilds are of superior build quality to those that came after. I've owned Guilds from Hoboken, Westerly, Corona, and Tacoma and every one of them was a superior instrument.

'06 D-55
'74 D-40

carson17912

Reaction score
Guild D-55 corona acoustic

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I agree with you in every detail. I own a 1967 MkI classical from Hoboken. My recording friends always ask to borrow it when they record. My DV-52 is another favorite in the studio, and these people own martins, and taylors(the taylor cost him $3,000) and they say the DV-52 has a "woody" sound that comes through digital recording with amazing clarity. I agree. I am the proud owner of 12 Guild guitars. One from hoboken, one from corona, and 10 from westerly and I am so happy with all of them. I did hear a tacoma brand spanking new D-40 I think that the Guild representive brought to my music store in Paxinos Pa. K&S music; 570-648-8676. It was a beauty. I'd like to purchase an F-50 rosewood in the near future. Guild is such a beautiful machine and I just love playing them. Thanks again for your reply. carson

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
I am sad to say that the 2 brand new Tacoma D55's that passed through my hands this month had to be refused and returned to the vendor.
Sound was not an issue, craftsmanship was.
Just unlucky I guess. :cry:
Benee Wafers

Squawk

Reaction score
6L6 said:

Ditto here - except for the tense - I still own it - and it IS a superior instrument. Most of my Guilds are Westerly (before and after Fender), the rest Corona. I do not think the city of origin or ownership of Guild at the time of manufacture had any bearing on anything.

carson17912

Reaction score
Everyday, it's a getting better!!!!

dear squauk and benee: I agree with you both. There are several guilds I haven't purchased over the years, and a couple of DeArmonds for this or that reason. Each piece must be perfect to my: ear, touch, and eye or I don't buy the guitar. When I purchased my DV-52, turned down a D-4 I think it was, and a 12 string DeArmond. I've always been impressed with their workmanship at all levels. The music shoppe I trade at: K&S in Paxinos, Pa. (570-648-8676) has always carried the best I've ever seen in guitars and other gear. In fact, Dave the owner asked me to play their 13,000 dollar Martin. I respectfully declined. In Dave's hand it did sound good and it did look pretty. I wouldn't trade my Guilds in for it though. I guess i follow the old sports cliche: "Dance with who brung ya." In other words don't fool around with what is successful for you. Whether they're from: Hoboken, Westerly, Corona, or Tacoma I believe that Guild guitars are the best guitar in the world. I think I've mentioned that even Buddy Holly said: "A Guild will give you everything a Gibson can any day." I paraphrase that, but in any Buddy Holly documentary you can see his Guild F-50 in the hands of his brother Travis to whom he gave the instrument that he purchased at Manny's many years ago. anyway, keep playing that GUILD. carson

Reaction score
Carson's happiness

Carson - I am truly thrilled you are happy with your Carona-built Guild. I played a dozen or so at the request of several dealers who know of my Guild propensity - but found all of them wanting. They were finished like electric guitars and two showed threats of what would, I understand from dealer and luthier friends, become rampant - bridges popping off from being glued on AFTER the tops were finished. These dealers sent all of their Corona's back, I am told. That said, and as my mum told me to be silent if I couldn't offer anything positive, I will only say I hope you have an exceptional Guild and experience years and years of great service and sound. I only ever want the best for Guild - regardless of where they are made - I've just seem them hit a number of potholes lately and worry. So, good on ya! dbs

carson17912

Reaction score
to the home of the fightin' tigers

I read your note and I wish there was something I could say, but I can't. I am speechless. I am without speech. wishing you the best of luck in future Carson

J45dale

Reaction score
I am still playing daily my Corona built 2002 D55 that I purchased last Nov. used, and can still find 0 fault. Not tone, materials,build or finish. It is played over 10 hrs per week and is a very versital guitar. It only demands to be controled as it can be very loud and overwhleming, so it,s not for beginners! :lol: AS a mohogany fan, it is for now, my only rosewood and it fills that musical need nicely.
So congrats Carson 17912 on obtaining (IMHO) a fine, professional guitar!
Dale

Squawk

Reaction score
Satisfied with my Corona JF12-30, I had ordered a F50R w/Fishman about 2-3 years ago from Musicians Friend when they were blowing them out. I received an untouched, unopened Guild factory carton. I cried when I opened the case - still had the bridge, but the checking was beyond belief - and the fishman stem was not screwed on, so the endpin bolt was laying there scratching the finish while the fishman tube banged around inside the guitar. MF of course refunded everything and paid the return shipping. That guitar never should have left the factory like that. I didn't touch any other Coronas until over a year later when a dealer was offering a new D50 on ebay - i asked and was guaranteed there would be no problems - and there weren't any.

I had heard that there were good batches and bad batches of Corona Guilds. Looks like some of us here lucked out.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
6L6 said:

But I eventually succumbed to bling and went for a new Tacoma-built D-55. Like the D-50 (and my '74 D-40), it is just a superior instrument and will be staying in my stash until I take that final "dirt nap".

I just don't buy the jive that Westerly Guilds are of superior build quality to those that came after. I've owned Guilds from Hoboken, Westerly, Corona, and Tacoma and every one of them was a superior instrument.

'06 D-55
'74 D-40

Same here, I bought a Corona D-50 on eBay for such a low price that I figured I'd use it as a trade up to a flashier D-55. Only thing is that its kind of growing on me; after playing it for about a week now I'm thinking its a keeper. Great tone, super action, beautifully booked woods -- can't ask for mch more than that!

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
6L6 said:

'06 D-55
'74 D-40

Same here, I bought a Corona D-50 on eBay for such a low price that I figured I'd use it as a trade up to a flashier D-55. Only thing is that its kind of growing on me; after playing it for about a week now I'm thinking its a keeper. Great tone, super action, beautifully booked woods -- can't ask for mch more than that!