Quite happy with Guild GAD 50

Siwash

Reaction score
Okay, it's no vintage guitar. I'm not sure I'd like to buy a vintage guitar: I just don't know enough about guitars to buy an older guitar with confidence. It's also difficult, unless you're willing to take the ebay plunge. So I checked out plenty of guitars, very much like Blueridge's stuff, the BR 160 is a nice machine. But in the back of my mind, from years ago, is the image of the basic Guild guitar. . . as the quintessential guitar. I don't know how this reverence was formed. But I popped for the Guild GAD 50: nicer than the other stuff I looked at, offers a lot. Has a plasticy smell, of course, but the sound is very good. It's a good intermediate guitar. I don't have the skill or the money to make a more expensive guitar appropriate for me. God knows, if there's an all mahogany D-25 in excellent condition that I could check over, perhaps I'll pop for that. . . one of those cherry red deals.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Take my advice. If you can return it for a full refund do so. Presuming you bought it new.
You can find some Westerly Guilds for the same money as you paid for the GAD 50 and you will be far better off.
Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Oh would you please just stop it........

For crying out loud, did you get beat up by a Chinese guy once? You sure have a sore spot about the GAD series. If the guy likes his GAD, so be it. I like mine. You are not going to find an equivalent guitar for the $499 I paid for mine (w/ case) period. Anybody who wants to sell me a Westerly D-55 for $500, I'll take it off your hands right now (and keep my GAD).

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
You know I had a real nice message all written out but the site timed out on me so it was lost. Just to summarize then I own a GAD40C.
You got an exceptional deal on that new guitar. The average price on the web is 674.I thought they were selling for 800, hence my comment.
Enjoy your new guitar and look forward to the day when you can get your hands on an American Guild.
I own a 1977 Westerly F212XL ( which cost 250 more than your GAD) and a brand new D55 which cost a hell of a lot more.
I think comparably speaking within the price range the GAD series is very very good . I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't think so.
Carry on.
Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Fair enough

I apologize for coming on too strongly. Apparently we seem to have different experiences regarding prices on US/ Asian Guilds. I was referring to all solid wood rosewood models. I can't find any around here for under a grand. If I do, I'll be sure to check it out....

Siwash

Reaction score
Just checked this. I paid $600 and tax. I considered buying an old D-25, but this was just too hard to do. No serious guitar stores around here carrying really old stock. Didn't want to risk eBay for all the reasons we know about plus I really do believe guitars of the same make can sound even very different. I was just very struck with the quality of the thing for the money; was also checking out Blueridge stuff. If money were no object, there's a person I know with an old D-50 that I would love to buy, but she was talking $1300 or so, so not a realistic option for me: I'm not a very good guitar player, just an intermediate, and I feel I'm not up to getting a fabulous guitar.