Missing label?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anybody have experience with Guilds lacking the SN label in the body/soundhole? I'm looking at a '78 D40 (dated by the SN stamped into the headstock) w/o a label... and am concerned a bit about the instruments pedigree. I do notiice that the label in my '72 D35 has peeled up arpund the edges, but that in my wife's '78 D35 is tight to the edges. Anyone ever have a label fall off?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GardMan said:
Anybody have experience with Guilds lacking the SN label in the body/soundhole? I'm looking at a '78 D40 (dated by the SN stamped into the headstock) w/o a label... and am concerned a bit about the instruments pedigree. I do notiice that the label in my '72 D35 has peeled up arpund the edges, but that in my wife's '78 D35 is tight to the edges. Anyone ever have a label fall off?

Hello GardMan,

It doesn't happen very often but I do come across Guild guitars without a label every once in a while. Not too long ago I was working on a Guild Nightingale with the label missing and while I was trying to get to the electronics I found the missing label floating around inside the guitar. Actually it was sticking to the pickup cables.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hans,

Please tell me if the following correct: If the headstock serial number is changed or missing, the guitar is probably stolen, even if there is a paper label, because the label could be taken from another guitar, right?

dh

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks!

Thanks Hans. Have you ever run into a situation where you don't trust the SN of the headstock? It looks imprinted/embossed, like those on mine and my wife's D35s. I suppose that would require replacing the neck/headstock, which would be fairly obvious. Thanks again, dave

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Hans, Please tell me if the following correct: If the headstock serial number is changed or missing, the guitar is probably stolen, even if there is a paper label, because the label could be taken from another guitar, right? dh

Darryl,

I cannot think of a good reason to change or remove the serial number from the back of the headstock other than you wouldn't want the guitar to be identified. I would probably stay away from it for it could have been stolen. It would not be easy to use the label of another guitar, since the serial number and the type of label should correspond with the specs. and period of the guitar in question.

GardMan said:
Thanks Hans. Have you ever run into a situation where you don't trust the SN of the headstock? It looks imprinted/embossed, like those on mine and my wife's D35s. I suppose that would require replacing the neck/headstock, which would be fairly obvious. Thanks again, dave

GardMan,

It would be hard to replace a serial number on the back of the headstock without a refinishing job. I do have seen quite a few guitars that had slightly different serial numbers on the headstock and the label but those usually fall into the category of mistakes; and they made a lot of mistakes at Guild.

Hans

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hans,

There was a nice old F50 on ebay a while back, but the serial numbers had been altered in some way. I feel that if you buy a guitar like that, you are contributing to crime. So I was surprised when the guitar went for a fairly high price.