Visit to Mandolin Brothers-

chetmz

Reaction score
I have not posted anthing since I acquired a 2000 DV52 back in January after 30 years away from the guitar.

I have truly grown fond of this instrument and of getting back into guitar after all these years as a bassist. (Although I have not lost my love for longtime companion, a '61 P Bass)

A few weeks ago I picked up my daughter from college on Staten Island but not before I made a stop at Mandolin Brothers to play a wide range of vintage and new instruments. There were only a few new Guilds around.

I must tell you that a after almost 2 hours of playing everything from wonderful vintage Martin's and Gibsons to new offerings from Collings, Huss and Dalton's, Santa Cruz and Bourgeois, I came away smiling feelign that my modest Guild I had the best 'balanced' sound.

It is true that an old Brazillian Martin D's bass can 'roar' and the highs from the Collings and H&D's are sparkling, but for balance I just don't know how you beat a Guild.

I must say that among all these 'competitors' I really liked one of the Bourgeois D's I tried but the fact that it would cost 5 times what I paid for my DV52, also makes me appreciate what I've got.

Of course........I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know.