Just scored a Bluesbird - my first ebay buy

Reaction score
Newbie here - hello! I'm pretty excited about a Bluesbird I recently bought off ebay. Sorry - don't know how to post links but it was item 7421210912.

Anyway, I've had a couple of Bluesbirds before - one quite similar to this one and one a more recent Bluesbird90 which just didn't do it for me. This one however is a beauty! I think it used to belong to someone on these boards. It's a good weight - not too heavy. I replaced the bridge and tailpiece just so I could make it look as new as possible and also to try the Gotoh aluminium tailpiece. I don't think it makes a huge difference but it sure doesn't hurt. I also found some Guild see-thru knobs for it on ebay so now it looks great.

I'm a bit of an amp whore - I build them as a hobby. So I've been playing this guitar through some Marshall-esque 2x12 combos and some tweed style combos also. But it really comes to life through a Badcat Wildcat through a 2x12. Some of the most beautiful HB tones I have ever heard. It can do the "Les Paul thru plexi Marshall" thing better than my '57 Historic LP which I am selling now! But it can do so much more.

It joins my '99ish Starfire III as two of the best guitars I have ever owned. Let's not let too many guys know how good there things are, huh? Why these guitars don't get more kudos I will never know. This BB is better finished than any Gibson I have ever seen and sounds like I always wanted a Gibson to.

Sorry for the long rant but I just had to vent. No-one else understands!

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Hi again JR. You're in the right place. People here do understand and more than that they KNOW.
Congrats on the BB
Benee Wafers

LQGuitarist

Reaction score
Hi!
I too am new - been on the board for about a week. I have a 1997 Black BB that is in mint condition. I left a post on the board explaining what I went through to do a full setup and I too found it hard not to be long winded. I don't think any of us really care since we are all Bluesbird enthusiasts and the more information I have the more I learn.

As far as Amps, I found my '94 Fender Blues Deluxe on E-bay and bought it delivered for around $600.00. The previous owner mounted it on removable wheels which I actually like since my back isn't what it used to be.

In my opinion, it's not the brand that matters, it's what you can do with it and the sound you can achieve that makes you happy. I appreciate the workmanship and quality parts as well as fine woods. The Bluesbird has it all. With that said, even though the price was a bargain ($700.00 in mint condition) I lost my great guitars over the years (about 45 years of playing) to some bad choices in retrospect. About 10 years ago I bought a cheap Japanese Strat and rewired it. The wood was sound and the maple neck and maple fret board gave me the classic strat sound I wanted. I ended up giving this guitar to my grandson as his first guitar. I wanted him to have a guitar that was set up as I would like it so that it would be easier for him to learn and very playable. It was a good choice.

As for the Bluesbird, it will join my two accoustics (Martin 1990 OMC-28 that was a limited edition Guitar of the Month) and a 1992 Taylor 915 Jumbo that I bartered for by doing engineering work for the owner of a music store in California who turned out to be Ben Harper's grandfather. Ben picked up the guitar from Taylor for me and while it is a beautiful guitar, I still added a Bridge Doctor with brass pins to bring out the midrange for finger style.

I don't think I will ever sell any of them. I once promised my grandmother that I would giver her 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair Baldwin Baby Grand a home after she died and I ended up designing and building my home to accomodate her piano. It helps to be in the building industry, but I hope that when my time comes I can pass my guitars on to one or more of my grandchildren who will enjoy them as much as I have. If not, I would rather donate them to a music school where they would be played than to have them end up sitting in the cases collecting dust from a collector.

Musical instruments are meant to be played and enjoyed.

Now you see what I meant by long winded.

Welcome to the forum.