Pickguard on Bluesbird and Finger Stylists

LQGuitarist

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my exploits setting up a 97 Bluesbird and then adding (by modification) a Les Paul pick guard. I installed it tonight and plugged in. It was an amazingly different feel - not quite accoustic, but much easier when playing Chicago Blues. I don't generally finger pick with electric blues unless I'm trying to do an alternating bass rhythm backup to any of the music I listen to. There are not a lot of players in my area and especially in my age bracket and I am a bit shy (56 years old). I started playing Delta Blues many years ago on my Martin but loved to listen and attempt playing Chet Atkins and Marcel Dadi styles. I broke a lot of finger nails on a Japanese strat I was fond of, but felt pretty comfortable playing on my Bluesbird which I bought with the pick guard unattached.
I finally installed it so that the top of the pick guard is level with the pickup (SH-1's) mounting rings and I'm finding the comfort level extrodinary. The strings are still lower than an accoustic, but I feel free to "float" (for lack of a better word) over the strings without nicking my nails on the pickup.

I was wondering how many finger stylists are out there and if you have found the same experience or comfort level with he pick guard in place. I don't think I can go back as it also improved the attack when using either a thumb pick or flat pack.

I am not a world class professional - but I am constantly learning and can feel my way through some interesting Chicago Blues. I think the tone and ease of playing inspires me about 50% while the music I'm working with brings me the rest of the way. I still step over everyone else, but hey! I play alone and on my own so who cares - the goal is for me to learn to improvise around the meloday or as augmentation to what others are doing.

Tonight I had the chance to crack up my old Blues Deluxe while my wife was at work (ER at the local Hospital) and it was an adrenalin rush to put it mildly. I still wish I could play some of the stuff Harvey Mandel and Corky Siegal were pumping out on Born in Chicago. If you love Blues, you have to find early 60's Blues like the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Siegal Schwall Blues band, Older Buddy Guy, Slim Harpo, Muddy Waters, Tracy Nelson - gosh these guys still inspire me and they are still playing in Chicago and are all about six years older than me.

FWIW, a friend accidently bought a Chicago Blues DVD and matching CD called the "Chicago Blues Reunion - Buried Alive in the Blues" with each of the people I mentioned above including Nick Gravenites, Barry Goldberg on keyboard, Sam Lay and others including cuts of Junior Wells and Slim Harpo. The set can be found at http://www.chicagobluesreunion.com. Crank it up and play along with the CD - you'll feel as if you are on stage again.

The funny thing is that we are all Baby Boomers. I'm not a musician by profession but a structural engineer. These are musicians who have played with the best from the Stones to Dylan to Hendrix and Clapton. In a way I feel cheated to be born six years too late but in the same city and still interested in Blues.

Corky Siegal was asked why a white Jewish boy from the suburbs of Chicago would be interested in the Blues. I'm also a white Jewish boy from the suburbs and my family's business was near Maxwell Street on 22nd and Halstead. His answer was the same as mine - when you fall in love you don't need a reason. Forty some years later and I'm still in love with it.

Best to all and thanks for listening to this old fool of a guitar player.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I love Chicago Blues too. I got to sit about 10 feet from Johnny Shines for about 3 hours back in '72. Just him and an acoustic guitar.

Too cool.
:wink: