Guild 12 string project...

curt

Reaction score
The damage looks like it was an irate wife or a forklift incident. There is also a hole in the in the bottom of the case.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Curt,

Looks like some custom work by the luthiers at UPS.

But seriously, this project is fascinating, and I think a lot of us could benefit from following your progress. And those great photos are a real help.

First of all, are you going to replace the back but repair the side? I don't know squat about luthiery, but I find it fascinating what they can do and how they do it.

Squawk

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Maybe a little head bashing at a punk rock concert? :?

West

A little too vintage for that. Perhaps Pete Townsend used it at a "Who Unplugged" concert...

curt

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
First of all, are you going to replace the back but repair the side?
The side(s) are going to be repaired and depending on how it looks after the repair they might end up black because of the extent of the damage. I've considered taking the neck off and replacing the sides but that gets a lot more complicated.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
This is fascinating. I really like the whole idea of salvaging something through your own initiative and ingenuity, and this project is a perfect example.

Is it easy to get that back center stripe from Stew Mac or something? Do you buy new back braces ready-made? Can you repair and re-use any of the back braces?

I think it's good that you are repairing the side. I think a good repair has an appealing look, but then I'm not interested in mint guitars. Since I like the purple cast that Guild had on these, I think it would be great to let the repair show and keep the color.

Can you put new binding around the back that might look original some day after years of aging? Isn't there some way to make a new back look old (other than loaning it to Coastie)?

How many hours do you think this will take?

curt

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Is it easy to get that back center stripe from Stew Mac or something? Do you buy new back braces ready-made? Can you repair and re-use any of the back braces?
I bought the inlay and had intended to use it but I think I might pass because the book-match is really nice

Can you put new binding around the back that might look original some day after years of aging? Isn't there some way to make a new back look old (other than loaning it to Coastie)?
I am going to use curly maple binding and when I re-clear it I'm going to add some amber in the lacquer to make it look old. I am using the old bracing.

How many hours do you think this will take?
Too many! So far I have about two hours in it and I'm figuring I should complete it with another ten hours.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I think guitars always look better with the center inlay stripe. I know you don't need my opinion, but there it is anyway. 8)

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very interesting project.

Did you use steam to get the glue to release what remained of the old back off?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, a man who would take on that project and complete it, and make it look good, isn't a repairman, he's a luthier in the truest sense of the word. That's rebuilding a fine guitar.

You have to post before and after pictures when complete.

Great project.........I'm jealous!

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
You got it, West. Think of all the things you could do with this knowledge and skill. My brother rebuilds cars, and he actually makes more $ in his spare time doing it than he spends on car payments, gas, and insurance.