Dating a Guild D-25

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm interested in a Guild D-25 i found for purchase online. The seller claims the guitar is a 1978 Westerly and the serial number he gives me is DA100079 however i went to this site (http://www.adirondackguitar.com/Resourc ... dating.htm) and from using the chart i came away with the impression that it is actually made in 79. Is this right? I know, i'm nitpicking by one year but i just wanted to be sure about it. Anyways, guitar looks great no superficial scratches, solid spruce top and arched back. Thinking about going over to his place to give it a test run. Am i right in assuming its a 79 and not a 78? Maybe, if i bring this to his attention he might bring the selling price down a bit. Thanks for reading guys!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wordlesschorus said:
Am i right in assuming its a 79 and not a 78?

Hello wordlesschorus,

The guitar is definitely from 1979! From the end of 1979 to be precise!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thats great that you can give it a test drive! If it's in good shape and you like the way it sounds and feels, there's no reason to haggle on the price because of the one-year difference in age. These were great old guitars, throughout the 70's and beyond. 8)

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply guys. The deal for the guild that i found through craigslist fell through but i found this sweet D25 that just ended on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... IT&rd=1The guitar that i was looking at was similar to that but had a more reddish color to its top almost burgundy-like. Anyways, ill be sure to be on the lookout on eby and craigslist for more..thanks for the help guys!

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah... someone outbid me for that one. I was bidding on two D25Ms (1974 and 1978) figuring I might get one, and if I got two, I would keep the one that sounded/felt best. I did end up winning the '74 that (by its description) has a few more dings and scratches than the '78 you posted. (based on those clues, you should be able to figure out my eBay screen name).

D25s show up pretty commonly on eBay... seems like in the last 8 weeks (the time I have been watching), there have always been one or two up for auction. Prices have been all over... from <$500 to $995 (for a mint condition '74M...I bid on that one, but couldn't go that high!).

I am both excited, and a little nervous about winning the auction for the "74 D25. I got burned a few weeks ago with a '72 D25M... when it arrived, it had a split tail/tailblock and bridge, and the bridge had been crudely filed down to avoid a neck reset. Fortunately, the seller agreed to a full refund. Hope I don't have to go through that again! I am also finding the eBay process a little addictive... there are so many Guilds I would like to buy!