F30

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
I've been looking for an F30 for a while now & this seems like an awfully high price for this guitar.

Seller tells me it's 15" across the lower bout. claims it is the smaller model.

Hello Jeff,

It is the 'old' style body and it is probably a tad more than 15" but in the guitar business that would be considered a 15" guitar.
And a very nice one indeed!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Han,

Thanks for letting me know I'm looking at the right guitar.

I asked the seller for the depth of the body & he has agreed to measure the guitar & get back to me.

I'm sorely tempted but it seems a dear price. Not many nice ones, if any, have come up for sale lately.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
F-30 specifications

Jeff said:
I asked the seller for the depth of the body & he has agreed to measure the guitar & get back to me.

The depth of the body can vary a bit from one Guild to the next, even within the same period. The '70s version of the F-30 is almost a small jumbo and is quite a bit deeper than the '60s style shallower version.
The average 'small body' style F-30 is about 3-1/2" deep near the neck and about 4-1/4" at the tailblock. The later style F-30 is at least half an inch deeper at the tailblock.

Hans Moust

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Based on the dimensions the seller is giving me I'm thinking this guitar is a somewhat larger model F 30.

" Jeffery,
Sorry for the delay, I'm a one man operation and got swamped this past few days.
Anyway, the body is 15.25 inches on the bottom bout, 12 inches on the top bout. The top side depth is 3.75" and the bottom is 4.75.
The bridge itself hasn't been "shaved down", but the saddle is about 1/2 it's original height. While it plays fine, it may need a neck reset for your taste.
If you'd like I can have the reset down here, or I'll sell it for $1200 the way it is. My repairman (very competent) charges me $250 to reset an unbound neck.
Let me know
Timm "

Not surprisingly the git needs a neck reset & 250 is a reasonable price.

I'm having a bit of an issue ordering major work done by an unknown, on a guitar I've never seen or heard.

tommieboy

Reaction score
:D :D :D

I was looking at that same guitar this past week.....

$1200... :D

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Based on the dimensions the seller is giving me I'm thinking this guitar is a somewhat larger model F 30.

I'm having a bit of an issue ordering major work done by an unknown, on a guitar I've never seen or heard.

Hello Jeff,

Well, it looks like I was mistaken when I thought it was the smaller style F-30. Must be the angle that the photo was taken at.
But anyway, if it's not the style of guitar you're looking for, you don't have to worry about whether or not to do the neck set.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Redhead will be relieved this isn't the one. It's too bad, this one is pretty clean (cept'in for the neck)

Hans, Thanks for the tech backup. Anyone know how many of these smaller F 30's were built? I sent payment for your book in today's post. Should help.

Not many come up, either no one wants to part with them, or they didn't hold up well & there aren't many left.

Any of you brothers out there come across a sweet early F 30 & don't take it yourself let me know. Most especially a Sunburst Hoboken.