1996 Bluesbird

Reaction score
I have purchased 1996 Cherry Sunburst Bluesbird. This one came stock with a black pickguard and uncovered SD 59's. The serial is extremely low (111), so I'm assuming this is a first year Bluesbird. I have not seen another one like it. Anybody have any information on this first year production model? Were there any problems? Why did they change the look of the guiter, is the guitar worth any more than standard Bluesbird? Any information from the experts would be greatly appreciated. Currently own a 2003 Corona Bluesbird and love it...looking to add a RI to the arsenal. Picture attached.
eBayISAPI.dll

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Fly, and welcome to the "club".
Like the p/u's and black p/u rings, and pickguard - a little different from "normal".
Is the cherry that "cherry" or is it the light that makes it look that way ?
Another photo or two would be nice, please.

Cheers, Coastie.

Reaction score
Hey Coastie,

It's good to be part of the club, and I must say you have some fine BB's in your bag of tricks (seen the pictures posted at this site). I've been monitoring this site for months now, trying to learn what I can on these most remarkable guitars. As far as pictures go...if you go to the link I posted (e-bay link), you can access four or five different pictures of the guitar (hit the toggle arrows). I still haven't rcvd it so I can't post you any from my end. I was a little hesitant about buying it, because I thought it had been modified. However, after much research I found that indeed the first batch of Bluesbirds had that configuration (pickguard, no covers on the PUs and the black pickup rings). As I already owned one of the last produced BBs, I though it only right to own one of the first. Unfortunately, since there have been so few produced in 96, I've been unable fo find anybody that owns one and am curious if they have the same magical mojo that the later BB's have.

Fly

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ha, toggled all the arrows and yep, that's definitely a pretty 'birdie.
I knew that the first of the re-issues came with a pickguard, but didn't realise they also came with exposed p/u's and black p/u rings. Seems a pity that Guild didn't go the whole hog and fit a black bridge and tailpiece. I guess though that they were probably keen on carrying as little parts inventory as possible. I've toyed with the idea of "going gold" with my 'birdie, but always balk at the idea of going non-original.

Enjoy your new baby, Coastie.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Very Pretty Bird FlyFisher!!

I like the black on cherry......maybe it should be called a "Black Cherry"!!

I really like that one, and It looks flawless!

Congratulations and welcome!!

Reaction score
I bought one new that year. It was pretty much identical to yours except natural finish. I don't have it any more, but recently got a 2000 BB and it seems to me to be very similar internally. The older BB had exposed pickups, black pickup rings and knobs and a black scratchplate which I removed.

I kinda regretted selling th first one so that's why I replaced it! I do prefer the covered pickups, no scratchplate and cream-colour pickup rings though. Just MHO of course! These are really great guitars so play the heck out of it!

Reaction score
Jimmy,

I'm with you, I prefer the creme colored pickup rings and covered pickups as well. I figured I'd pick up this one because it is a first-year production model, is very rare (less than 100 made that year), has the odd configuration, is supposedly in mint shape, but most importantly I got it for what I believe to be a steal. I'll likely keep the guitar as a collectors item and display it in my den (I'll use my other as the working guitar). I'm assuming at some point these BB's are going to really skyrocket in value. If that's the case, maybe I'll luck out having a first-year production model. If not, I don't think I'll have any difficulty recuping my costs if I wanted to sell. However, if I do go ahead and modify, where did you get your creme-colored pickup rings? Did they require and additional drilling? And did removal of the pickguard leave any real obvious (eyesore) holes in the guitar.

Again thanks for you response as well as the responses from the rest of the Guild BB Crew.

My warmest regards,

FlyFisher

Reaction score
Oh I didn't replace the pickup surrounds - sorry if I gave you that impression! All I did on my first BB was remove the scratchplate. Because it was new at the time the finish wasn't any different in colour, but older guitars often have yellowed a bit through exposure to UV light. So you may find that the finish under the scratchplate is whiter than the surrounding finish.

I have a 2000 BB now which came with the cream parts. You can pick up some Guild parts on Ebay - I found some original Guild knobs for mine that way. I got the clear ones for mine whereas my first BB had black. And I think the covered pickups suit the guitar better. It's easy to get nickel covered Duncan '59s for your guitar. I'm tempted to try some Antiquities or Lollars in mine...

I had another look inside the guitar and I'm pretty certain that the internal structure of the guitar is identical to yours (and my original), so I suspect that they haven't changed the basic construction since yours was made.