Water Proofed Guild..........

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
ok, I'll bite: What is "busking"?

Whoever did this to this old guild should be charged with some sort of crime..."Defacing Vintage Property", or "Practicing Lutherie Without any Discernable Skills" or something :lol:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Busking, whatever it is, must be hard on guitars.

The paint job is nauseating, Thankfully it is a plywood dread & not a sweet old small body.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ah "busking"....the art of paddling a boat with a guitar. I believe it was the 1980 Olympics had the busking competition....highly competitive sport. The tremendous athletes who perform this feat are known as buskers. The winner of the competition is said to have busked well!

The D25 was the ultimate busk, however it was deemed illegal due to it's arched back "cupping" the water if you will, and thus offering an unfair advantage over the competition.

You'll never have to worry about using a humidifier again, hell, they won't work on this one!

West :wink:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ah ! I remember the Singles-Busk well from the 1980 Olympics.
The event was won by a Kiwi (naturally). However, he was subsequently stripped of his medal, when he was deemed to have taken a performance- enhancing substance - a vegemite sandwich.
The gold medal was then conferred upon the second place getter, the representative from Medioka. Then, following a storm of protest, he too was stripped of the medal. The protest centred around his using a Stratocaster - the contoured body offering a huge advantage re. less drag and a lot of other highly technical stuff. (Amazingly, Fender missed a golden opportunity here and failed to capitalise on the publicity that was generated).
So, the medal ended up with, you guessed it, the bloody Oz-tralians !
Now, the joker who's auctioning this guitar may well have quite a little piece of history there. This may well be the very guitar from those Olympics; after all, who but an Oz-tralian would be that damn' stupid that they'd desecrate a Guild like this !!!!!!!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
So glad you remember Coastman. Do you remember the team busking as well? As I recall, as long as the team busks harmoniously, they remain in competition, however occasionally, their busking technique is not as it should be and their busks collide, rendering a hell of a racket. Known as busk-bumping, three teams were diqualified during olympic competition.

Yes, I do recall the boys from the land down under being a legacy..... busking in all the glory! The Three Buskateers. I had thought there was a busking dynasty in the making.

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
c'mon Jeff, the D-25 isn't a "plywood guitar", the back was mahogany ply but the rest was solid wood. Long live the D-25! (Except this poor unfortunate busker, I gotta guess the tonal qualities have been seriously diminished by the gelatin-like finish) :D

Looks to me like a good candidate for the "El-Kabong" treatment - and I know you geezers are old enough to remember Quickdraw McGraw's evil twin "El-Kabong".

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, someone here recently displayed a fine example of an El-Kabong 12 string. :)

West

john_kidder

Reaction score
That is a truly beautiful guitar. Could give a whole new meaning to "surf guitar", a waterproof instrument like that. Quite a concept.

But have none of you folks ever been down-and-out-on-the-street-with-nothing-but-a-guitar? "Busking" is just playing in public for handouts.

A Norwegian folklorist told me that the word comes from the Old Norse "busk", which is allied to the English "bush" - it meant the people at various gatherings who played round about the main areas, in the bushes, as it were. I presume they were not averse to having a few kroner tossed their way.

Cheers, all

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
My gosh John, I'd starve to death....out there "Busking My A_ _"! Learn something everyday here. Thanks

:) West

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West.

My favourite event was the mixed doubles Busk, in which I used to perform most vigorously !!
I have fond memories of much harmonious busking with many a delightful partner.
Team busking I found, well, just too naughty - I had a good Methodist upbringing !

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Since I am a little prone to geezer-ness, I do remember Quick Draw McGraw.
So, can anyone help me with this one..........

I've been trying to remember for ages what cartoon character used to unleash "A Hippo-Hurricane Howler".

Come on geezers !!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
well if that's what busking is, I've done it several times. Slept in a Goodwill clothes donation box one night in Seattle, too. What the heck, I still sing for my supper quite often. Wouldn't do it with this guitar, though, it's too ugly. You might even say it's busk ugly :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coaster,

Got me on the HHH, sounds pretty bad though. By the way, I've just finished my birthday dinner supplied by the lovely blonde, crawfish etoufee over dirty rice, fried tails and a jumbalaya appetizer, with bananas Foster to top all of that off . I'm suffering from severe belly-busk.

The team busk sounds most interesting, however I am still a Methodist (Roman Catholic upbringing), so for now, I'll pass on the team busk.

I can still get into the couples busk though :)

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Damned Dred,

How the heck did ya end up on skid row? You've got about a million dollars worth of guitars there :lol:

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, it was a cold rainy night (imagine that, a cold rainy night in Seattle) and that Goodwill box was dry and full of clothes. I wasn't on skid row, I was in the Navy.:lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dred,

I've got it now. Just being resourceful....improvise, adapt and overcome, right? :wink:

West