need to be an educated consumer for a 12-string

gilligan

Reaction score
I’m hoping to be shopping for a 70’s F212XL in the near future. I’ve been keeping an eye on e-bay just to see what’s out there and what $ it is going for. I’d rather not buy a guitar that I couldn’t first play, but if a reputable outfit stands behind their return policy, I’d be willing to take a chance. I’ve seen the websites of Elderly, New Hope and Willie’s. Are these considered respected high-end vintage guitar shops and what others are out there? I went to the Philadelphia Vintage Guitar Show in the fall. I imagine these shows are in New York and D.C., where do I find this info? When I try to google this stuff, I get 48 pages of Guitar Centers and Sam Ash’s. I have the Guild book by Moust, which is great, but for the acoustic 12-strings it seems to give basic specs from when the guitar was produced and a brief history of the model. This helps me to shop for the model, but now I have to learn how to shop for a vintage acoustic Guild. How do I ask about things like the bridge lifting, the height of the sixth string at the 12th fret, and what other questions, and what answers should I get? Thanks for any info

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Gilligan,

Go to "Ebay Offerings" catagory here at this site, and we've discussed at length, the methods that the guys here use when buying a guitar off of Ebay. You are certainly justified in your apprehension in buying a guitar site unseen, or unplayed in this case too. However, you can minimize the odds of being taken by doing your homework. You've come to the right place in that it seems like the majority of the guys here (the ones who post anyway), have bought Guilds off of Ebay. I have bought a couple, and both experiences were positive.

The dealers you mentioned are some of the most reputable discussed here. I've never had any dealings with them personally, but New Hope and Elderly are well respected here.

Regardless of who (or is it whom? Darryl where are ya?) you buy from, be sure to ask all of those questions that you've mentioned here..... bellying, bridge lifting, finish condition. The dealers will want to maintain their reputation and most Ebay sellers will want to keep a great rating. Don't be afraid to ask questions and request pictures.

One thing is for sure, I don't think you'll find many people (even those who aren't Guild nuts) who will argue the fact that Guild 12 string acoustics are the finest sounding 12's in the world. Get a Westerly built 12.

Oh, and by the way, I have the same problem finding meaningful information on the various Guild models online. If I'm looking for a guitar show to go to, I just type in "Texas Guitar Shows" since I live near Dallas. I can usually pull up several.

I'm confident you'll find a nice one. Good luck!

West

john_kidder

Reaction score
Second to all that, West. Gilligan, there is a bunch of useful stuff around this board, much of which you'll find helpful. Good luck.

And the proper construction for "Regardless of who (or is it whom?) you buy from . . ." would be "No matter from whom you buy . . .".

Cheers from the old pedant,

gilligan

Reaction score
Thanks All for the responses--I'm off to do some more investigating. By the way, why has that '79 212XL been at Willie's for so long? That right there would send up a red flag for me. Anyone know what's wrong with it?
Chat soon,
Gilligan

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can add is that in the opinion of many, including me, you ain't a gonna find no better production 12 than a 212XL, especially for the price.

As for checking Willie's (!) i don't know why that one hasn't moved. but they were a highly reputable dealer when I lived near them in Minneapolis/St.Paul, and I imagine they still are. And always check guildguy.com

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

Thanks for reminding me about Willie. I'm not into self service much but you are right. I'm gonna take him in for a full service soon,

The whole works, lube , oil , wash & wax.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that Darryl....Coastie told me you could use it for a bridge pin. :wink:

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

Speaking of pizzle bridge pins,

I'd like some stiff hard bone or Mammoth bridge pins. You have any?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeffrey,

I did find one piece of that Petrified Porcupine Pecker (PPP if you will).
what makes them so rare is that first you have to find a porcupine and keep him under covert observation until he and Mrs. Porcupine steal away somewhere. Then, just as they enter the short rows, from which it is said the material will pass a Rockwell Hardness Test, Only then can you whack the proud flesh from the unsuspecting porcupine! I does make them a little angry though.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
C"mon West, I'm serious, I got plastic bridge pins in everything & I'm tryin to do a little business here & you're not helping.

Anyone with any sense knows full well the properties of PPP are totally unsuitable for guitar bridge pins. I think they only use 'em on Sitars & Ballalaika's (sp).

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey Jeff, check out Don, he's an Allparts distributor, he'll likely have what you're looking for.