1974 D37 blonde?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have been bidding on a guitar on eBay that is identified as a 1974 G37 blonde (maple):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

However, in doing some comparisons, I noticed the guitar in the ad has what appears to be a mahogany neck and just Guild on the headstock, while "younger" G37s I have seen on eBay have maple necks and a shieldemblem (chesterfield?) on the headstock.

Does anyone (Hans?) know if the G37 model trim changed during the mid to late 70s? Or is the guitar in the ad above not a G37 (I have asked for clarification from the seller... if the label lists the guitar as a G37)? Thanks, Dave

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Soory... the title should be 1974 G37?

no text

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am sure having trouble with my typing today...

The question should be about a 1974 G37 blonde (not D37 blonde)...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Gard,

I'd hate to put words in Mr. Moust's mouth, so I'll just say that Hans has mentioned here on this site that sometimes Guild seemed to change various things on the same model at a whim. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they changed the neck wood or the logo from one year to the next (or even in the same year for that matter) on the G37. I think part of that might have a matter of what was readily available at the time.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dave,

By the way, I've got a JF30-12 with a maple neck, but have seen several with mahogany.

West

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
1974 G37 blonde

GardMan said:
I have been bidding on a guitar on eBay that is identified as a 1974 G37 blonde (maple):

However, in doing some comparisons, I noticed the guitar in the ad has what appears to be a mahogany neck and just Guild on the headstock, while "younger" G37s I have seen on eBay have maple necks and a shieldemblem (chesterfield?) on the headstock.

Does anyone (Hans?) know if the G37 model trim changed during the mid to late 70s? Or is the guitar in the ad above not a G37 (I have asked for clarification from the seller... if the label lists the guitar as a G37)? Thanks, Dave

Hello GardMan,

A Mahogany neck and just the Guild name in Gold would be correct for a G-37 from 1974. The laminated maple neck and the Chesterfield headstock were introduced around 1976.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks!

Thanks West and Hans...
I got a little concerned when I noticed the difference between the '74 and later G37 Blds AFTER I started bidding. If I win the auction for the G37, I may have to chose between it and the '74 D25M I won last week (I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival). I'll play them awhile, and see which sound/feel suits me best. The other will go back on auction, or, I'll bribe the wife to let me keep them both (she doesn't really understand why a recreational player like myself- even one whos been playing for 40 years- needs that many guitars. I tell her its for the different tunings...)!
Thanks again, Dave

davidv

Reaction score
Different tunings !!

Different tunings. So simple and yet so brilliant... wish I'd thought of that years ago.
I'll be trying that one soon.
:lol: