M-20 Questions

jrice

Reaction score
I recently bought an M-20. It has the oval, Hoboken, NJ label, serial # is AH-415. Can anyone help me date this great guitar? Any help would be appreciated. I ordered Hans' book from Amazon and it may help provide the answer, but thought I'd post the question here.

The guitar is in wonderful shape with the only flaw being a little peeling of the black laminate (?) on the front of headstock. Would it be appropriate to have a good guitar shop repair that (glue it down I suppose), or would that detract at all from the original condition of the instrument?

Lastly, can anyone tell me of a hard case brand and model number that would be the right size for this guitar? I got it in its original chipboard case.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the M20, someone surely will come up with an accurate date for you. I just sent ordered Hans' book myself.

Please let me know if you find a source for the correct case for your guitar. I looked for quite a while for a case for my F20 & finally settled on a case designed for a Martin 00. It's a pretty fair fit, but just a little loose without the strap. I leave the strap on mine & it fits snugly.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
John,

I saw that AH reference to 65 as well. If I had to, that's what I'd guess. Not exactly definitive.

jrice says it has a Hoboken label. When did Guild cease operations in Hoboken?

john_kidder

Reaction score
From Hans' book, p. 17: " The first guitar that came from Westerly was an M-20 in August 1967." There are many more details there - you should get a copy, you'll be a happy reader for hours.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
John,

So the M20 in question could very well be a 65. I agree with your comment about your little M20 Treasure. I'd like to hear it.

The day my F20 goes on the market would be a sad day indeed.

Check is in the mail for Hans' book. Hans mailed it to me yesterday. Should be here in a couple weeks. Intended to order it weeks ago.

I'm just a bit apprehensive what he may have written as a dedication.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jrice said:
I recently bought an M-20. It has the oval, Hoboken, NJ label, serial # is AH-415. Can anyone help me date this great guitar? Any help would be appreciated. I ordered Hans' book from Amazon and it may help provide the answer, but thought I'd post the question here.

Hello jrice,

If your M-20 has serial # AH-415 and the serial number is not stamped into the back of the peghead, then it's from the 1967-1968 period.
M-20s from that particular period were not recorded like all the other regular Guild models, but they can be dated approximately within a 2-year period. Also these specific guitars all have Hoboken labels, while they were actually made in Westerly, RI.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

jrice

Reaction score
Thanks, all. Out of curiousity, how would one discern between a '67-68 guitar and a '65 that would have AH in the serial number? Also, would there be any noticable difference between guitars made in the two locations? Interesting stuff. Its got a nice voice, and very fun to play. I was also looking at a '50's small Gibson and this M-20 was by far the better sounding and playing guitar IMO.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jrice said:
Thanks, all. Out of curiousity, how would one discern between a '67-68 guitar and a '65 that would have AH in the serial number?

Well ...... does it say # AH-415 on the back of the headstock?

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
M-20 question

jrice said:
No. Are you saying it would if it had been built in '65?

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying. Obviously in that case the serial number would have been a lower one.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust