GF30 BLD Nut and set-up troubles

davidv

Reaction score
Greetings All

At least 12 months having past since my last foray into ebay for Guilds it had to happen soon. And it did! I have just taken delivery of a 1987 GF30 blonde. Sort of mini jumbo shape, maple everything and condition TOTALLY UNPLAYED. and I mean totally.
Quick inspection reveals that this has been driving its owners crazy for 18 years and is unplayed because it has come from the factory unplayable.
I have removed 8mm from the saddle and this has helped somewhat !!!
No attempt had been made to sort the action at all.
The biggest issue is that the guitar is 42mm at the nut, inspection reveals that a nut identical to my D35 (44mm at the nut) has been used and 2mm merely trimmed off at the high E side. result string falls off fretboard at first 3 frets at it sits over the chamfer on the fret, also causing some high e string fouling from my dodgy grip/technique.
Played with a capo reveals a wonderful, unused guitar in as new condition for very little money. I just need to sort the lower end.
Does anyone have know whether Guild offered a genuine 42mm nut or is the accepted solution a visit to a luthier to have a custom nut cut.

All in all I am pretty thrilled, the GF30 geing a George Gruhn design, I believe, and the sound and condition a dream.

( still need to sort a Starfire some day)

DavidV

john_kidder

Reaction score
No expert on nuts, nut widths, or any of that. You'll get useful advice from others on this board.

But the very idea of finding an unplayed GF-30, at a great price, and then simply having to modify the nut and saddle - well, to me and to others here, that should be a real score. Those of us who like the Gruhn-designed Guilds like them very much indeed. Welcome to the circle.

Cheers,

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I suggest two things.

1. Write George Gruhn and ask if he has the Nut Dimensions of file. You might be able to buy from Gruhn's

gruhn@gruhn.com

2. Take that information if available to a luthier to build a new bone nut (fossilized ivory, etc)

One question for you. Are the strings evenly spaced on the nut? If they are, then you (or your luthier) could loosen the strings and see if the nut is glued in. If not the luthier can loosen it and slide it to find the correct location with that spacing then measurements can be taken to build a new nut.

This is really a minor issue for a good luthier.

Sounds like you got a steal!!

:roll:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Look in the heading "Mug Shots", then "Mr. P's Pictures", then the second post is my method for pictures.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Mr. P ~ said:
Look in the heading "Mug Shots", then "Mr. P's Pictures", then the second post is my method for pictures.

He won't be able to see the "Mug Shots" category unless he wants to join that specific user group.

I should take your pic posting tutorial & post it in the Forum News & Events heading.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
I should take your pic posting tutorial & post it in the Forum News & Events heading.

Go right ahead, I have no problem with that. I noticed a couple of the Mac users were point out that my method is not the way to go with a Mac.

If they don't get it figured out I can get with my brother who is a Mac representative. He should be able to give instruction for any Mac OS.

davidv

Reaction score
One of the best things about developing an obsession is to find others who share it. Everybody associated with Guilds seem to be inclusive and helpful.
So thanks Mr P for George Gruhn's e mail address; it should therefore be no surprise to find that the man himself replied immediately with the solution to the mystery.
The guitars were designed with necks 1 and 11/16 ths inches at the nut. Somehow there were a few made with 1 and 5/8 th at the nut.
What I seem to have is one of the latter with a nut made for the former. ( and then quickly butchered)
Solution is the same, off to a good luthier.... but nice to have contact with GG and others.
I will let you know when all is perfect.
David

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I met George at a Vintage Instrument show in Nashville.

I have cousins that inherited a one-of-a-kind 1936 Martin 000-45, left handed 7 string with a custom Pueter nut that layed over the regular nut to convert it to a lap guitar. They sold the guitar to him some years earlier. He told me he bought it for $2500.00 in 1981 and sold it for $6800.00 to a collector.

He is a nice guy, very helpful.

davidv

Reaction score
Sorry, e to e distance is no longer available as it was deposited with my favorite luthier in Richmond, Yorkshire today ( comments, HOW MUCH !!!, you got a real deal there!!!) where it is getting a new nut and a fret dress, as it has also got a couple of high frets identified when taking the action down.
Expect big improvements next week.
David

davidv

Reaction score
Greetings all.
Got the GF 30 back today, new nut, fret dress to remove a hump at the 14th, and 2 new frets where some-one had filed them away to stop the strings falling off the chamfer!!!!!!!!!. This is now one perfect guitar. have made my fingers sore. However the very poor presentation accounts for the lack of playwear.
This should keep me off e bay for a couple of months... :lol:
One very happy boy.

will post pictures when I find out how.
David