RE:F-212XL

gilligan

Reaction score

Regarding the F-212XL:
I’m looking for a 70’s-ish model. Anyone hear of any years being more desirable than others. Schaller tuning machines (which I read are of higher quality than the tuning machines on earlier models) were added in the late seventies. Would this sort of thing make a 1979 more wanted than a ’73?
Anyone know anything about the quality of tonewoods that Guild used throughout the guitar’s history?
Was the double truss rod always on the F-212XL?

Thanks,
gilligan

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
F-212XL

gilligan said:
Regarding the F-212XL:
I’m looking for a 70’s-ish model. Anyone hear of any years being more desirable than others. Schaller tuning machines (which I read are of higher quality than the tuning machines on earlier models) were added in the late seventies. Would this sort of thing make a 1979 more wanted than a ’73?

Schaller Mini tuners were introduced around 1976. Earlier than that there were a few done with full size Schaller M-6 tuners but these proved to be too heavy. Personally I would not choose one period over the other because of the machineheads they used.

Was the double truss rod always on the F-212XL?

Yes, they were always used.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

gilligan

Reaction score

Thank you Hans,
Most of the info I have is from your book. Any chance you can fill me in on post 1977 Guild? When did the quality begin to decline. For instance, would I be wrong to discount a 1982 f212xl compared to a 70’s (assuming they are in comparable condition)?
And what is the NT mean on some model #’s?
Thanks,
Gilligan

songsmith7

Reaction score
I'll try to stand in for Hans, and he can of course correct me if I'm wrong. To the best of my knowledge, NT stands for 'Natural Top' as opposed to a top that has a gloss or a stain.

As to QC issues with Guild, I'm not sure if there was a noticeable 'decline,' unless you count the Fender years. It seems to me you'd be safe with any guitar from the '70's or '80's. But any guitar from any era, be it Martin, Gibson, or Guild is capable of being a dud. I wouldn't get too hung up on years. I've played some newer Guilds that sounded like they were vintage, and I've played some '70's Guilds that had no mojo at all. Your mileage may vary.