Bluegrass Jubliee D-40/50

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny you should ask, FNG, I just played a D-50BS (Bluegrass Special) at Elderly Instruments today. :D :D :D :D :D It rated 5 smilies out of 5! This thing was sweet, and great workmanship too. Seriously outdid the new D-55 right next to it, the D-55 was unfortunately a log compared to the D-50. The D-50 was bright and responsive and it rang like a bell. Nice white spruce top with straight grain. The rosewood was also nicer than on the D-55, I liked the grain and the coloring better, real glossy and rich looking. It also has some type of dark wood binding on the body. I played it for awhile, put it through some paces and it sounded good all up and down the neck. Price tag was $1,790.00.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm curious too "P". Corona or Tacoma? Neither were Westerlys I presume? Especially curious about the D50 and if it happened to be a Tacoma?

West

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
drednut said:
Funny you should ask, FNG, I just played a D-50BS (Bluegrass Special) at Elderly Instruments today. :D :D :D :D :D It rated 5 smilies out of 5! This thing was sweet, and great workmanship too. Seriously outdid the new D-55 right next to it, the D-55 was unfortunately a log compared to the D-50. The D-50 was bright and responsive and it rang like a bell. Nice white spruce top with straight grain. The rosewood was also nicer than on the D-55, I liked the grain and the coloring better, real glossy and rich looking. It also has some type of dark wood binding on the body. I played it for awhile, put it through some paces and it sounded good all up and down the neck. Price tag was $1,790.00.

Hey Marc!

http://elderly.com//fmic/items/D50BS.htm

I was looking at this one, and thought I should ask if you had made a pilgrimage to Elderly lately. Hope you're doing good.

These are Tacoma made, and certainly look promising. I think the binding is tortise shell. Street prices seem to be around 1500, not bad!

Pat

john_kidder

Reaction score
drednut said:
D-50BS (Bluegrass Special) at Elderly Instruments. Ssweet, great workmanship. Outdid new D-55: D-55 a log compared to the D-50. Bright and responsive and rang like a bell. Nice white spruce top with straight grain, dark wood binding. Rosewood grain and coloring better than D-55, glossy and rich. Sounded good all up and down the neck. Price $1,790.00.

What a great review. Good solid information, and your overall impression is clear. I'm way better informed.

Thanks,

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, Tacoma. Real nice. The D-55 was a Tacoma made guitar as well and they had a Tacoma F-412 and a Corona F-50 BL, but the D-50 BS was the sweetheart of the bunch, and it had the lowest price tag.

Elderly's acoustic guitar room is an experience in and of itself. Probably 200+ guitars - Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Guilds, Collings, Huss& Dalton, Larivees, Vintage, A Guild Artist Award, a used '93 Martin D-45 with a couple little hardly noticeable dings in it for $4,000.00 :shock:

Of course, you can play all of them...I gotta confess, I played that D-45, and it was really sweet. But the D-50BS sounded almost as nice, no BS :D

Squawk

Reaction score
I have a Corona D-50 - and I love the sound. Grain is not straight on the spruce, and the coloring on the sides is not as nice as the back - but the sound!!!!!

Other than being built in Tacoma, is the D-50BS different than the Corona or Westerly D-50?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Squawk said:
I have a Corona D-50 - and I love the sound. Grain is not straight on the spruce, and the coloring on the sides is not as nice as the back - but the sound!!!!!

Other than being built in Tacoma, is the D-50BS different than the Corona or Westerly D-50?

It has the red spruce top, along with scalloped red spruce braces, and bone nut and saddle. Might be some minor cosmetic differences also, like the binding and heel cap.