96 Bluesbird Duncan SH-1 Question

LQGuitarist

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the stock SH-1 '59 model pickups are four wired and has anyone replaced the volume controls with DPDT push pull pots and wired the pickups for various individual coil combinations?

Dirt123

Reaction score
SH-1 '59

Stock '59s are single conductor shielded, but can be ordered from Seymour Duncan with a 4-conductor shielded cable for a small upcharge, I think 10 to 20 dollars. Not sure which type came in Bluesbirds.

I put 2 Duncan Pearly Gates pickups in my S-300 and replaced all the wiring. I put in a new selector switch, phase switch, output jack and 4 push-pull pots (the old wiring harness is intact in a box). It's wired like the Jimmy Page Les Paul, so each pickup can be split, switched between series and parallel, and switched in & out of phase with each other. The sounds are all different & usable.

Dirt

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dirt,

Could I do that with my late 90s starfire 5 with SD 1 pickups? If I did and didn't like it, could I restore it with no trace of the temporary changes?

Dirt123

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Dirt,

Could I do that with my late 90s starfire 5 with SD 1 pickups? If I did and didn't like it, could I restore it with no trace of the temporary changes?

Yeah, I don't see why not. I have not worked on a Starfire, but I thinks it's harder to get to the wiring as you have to work through the pickup routes & F-holes. Also, if you are going to use push-pull pots, check the internal depth of the guitar. My pots barely fit inside the S-300, they are about an inch and a quarter long.

D