Guild Strap buttons

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got a new Guild D-55, love the thing to death. Much thanks to Steve at Dreamquest!

And this might be quite a stupid question... but where do you guys normally have your stap buttons installed? If at all?

Right now, I've got the strap attached to the neck at the nut, cowboy / bob dylan style.

Aesthetically though, I would prefer to have the strap at a more modern location at the neck heel, Taylor style, but there doesn't seem to have alot of wood available in a logical manner there.

Do you normally have the strap buttons installed on the base of the heel (facing your body) or on the side of the heel (Taylor style)?

Thanks!
Eugene

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my new DC5. No strap button. I have one on order.

It's an interesting exercise to strum a chord & then apply a little pressure on the guitar, sort of push it down against the strap & flex the neck a little. . Doesn't take much to get a noticeable bending affect. Not such a big deal on my F20, but the Dreads are a lot heavier

The button on my DV 62 is attached on the back of the heel, not really enough room there but it looks ok & is clean.

The button in that position extends beyond the body of the guitar so when the git is laying on it's back it is actually supported by the strap button & not laying flat on it's back. I'd prefer it were mounted somewhere else.

Reaction score
In your opinion, do you think it's possible to have the strp button installed in the Taylor-style position?

Would there be any structural issues in putting a hole right there?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have little experience or knowledge to back up an opinion and I wouldn't want to start practicing strap pin installation on a new D55.

The screws I've seen used to hold strap pins are good sized no nonsense screws requiring a pretty good size hole. It might weaken the neck installed between the grain.

It'd be interesting to know where Guild put the buttons & why.

I have the same issue with a much less expensive guitar & am waiting for more knowledgeable advice.