I dont think its just my imagination.

J45dale

Reaction score
As a member of other forums, lately I have noticed a lot more discussion of Guild guitars, with a lot of positive remarks. This is good, as more and more guitar shoppers are takeing note and trying a Guild at all priceing levels. This word of mouth is how Guild can once again be a top of the line contender, as(IMHO) they really are.
Dale. :D

GraceNotes

Reaction score
I bought my first Guild in the late '70's, an F-412, and added a late 60's D-50 to it a few years later, followed by one of the first DC-1E guitars that became my main stage guitar for awhile. I have always found Guilds to be great values, especially compared to overhyped and overpriced Taylors. Guild never seemed to market their product as aggressively or hand out endorsements like candy. But one could always find great players who stuck with Guild.

What interests me is how adding Chinese guitars to the fold will affect image.

If I could afford an Olson, I might be easily tempted away....

Reaction score
An added bit of drivel....

I would like to add something into this discussion, but I just wrote it all down on the CV-1 thread. GO there and read my thoughts, if you are interested, on the new changes from Guild. My thoughts are under the heading "In morning at confession...."

Those of you who know me, well, know my stand on Guild. Those of you who don't....look at the list of my guitars under my name below and understand I am a long-time professional player and recording artist (what a pretentious word), and a long-time Guild supporter who doesn't think much of the here-to-fore Fender-direction of Guild. I think there are some real miscreants running Guild, in short, who have no real passion for the name and its history, are as far from Al Dronge's vision as Hitler was from Ghandi, show no real sense, and have a flagrant disregard for long-standing Guild supporters. But not to be too negative.... Hahahahaha! I think the Chinese Guilds ARE NOT Guilds in any way shape or form and should not have shared the name or logo - and should have been relagated like Madeiras in the 70's. They don's SOUND like Guild in any way, shape or form and I believe the current Guild management knew/knows that.

But, I digress....read my more encouraging (possibly) and benevolent (shyly) comments in the CV-1 thread. Then, shut off your computer and go play your guitar. Pax vobiscum! dbs

GraceNotes

Reaction score
Time will tell; it always does.

Ultimately justice and truth will be vindicated. We just aren't likely to be around to say, "I told you so!" :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
gee whiz, Smith, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :lol:

I agree with pretty much all you said, but I look at it this way: as long as I can buy beautiful vintage Westerly Guilds at a bargain price, what do I care who else is making what? I'm not going to spend $3,000.00 on a guitar, and especially not if I can get an equivalent vintage one for under $1,000.00.

GADS aren't even worth discussing. :x

But it should be noted that the nice new Tacoma Guilds are still priced well under the ridiculous prices they're asking for Taylors, Martins and Gibsons.

Reaction score
Indubitably

Hey, Dred -- Yeah - I think we're in pretty close agreement. It's like I said - all the guitars I'm ever going to own have already been made. I'll take a Westerly anytime....as you know....and the rest just don't factor. I'm like my father said though...and empty tin can rattles the most. As the big guy said, 'nuff said!

By the way, for you and anyone else I didn't tell about the recent purchase of the 1990 GF25 that came in with cracks along the fretboard just south of the nut...I got them fixed and the seller paid up on the repairs. My luthier, the amazing Holger Notzel of Komet Amps fame, said they really weren't much of a problem and now never will be. It's a beauty and plays so-o-o-o-o well. Cheers all! dbs