Tonewoods for Twelve Strings

gilligan

Reaction score
Just looking for some more opinions. I understand how rosewood is generally prized and historically accepted as the most desired tonewood for guitars. In another recent discussion here at LTG, Bob mentioned that rosewood plus twelve strings, in his opinion, is too much and can become muddy. I’ve played rosewood 6-string guitars that, to me, had more of a dense thud than a warm rich crispness. Keep in mind that I’m shopping for a 1970-something F212XL, and should I be lucky enough to come across an F512 (or the F312 that is currently on g-base) I don’t want to make the mistake of automatically dismissing it.
Please weigh-in.
Thanks and have a good weekend, all!
gilligan

Squawk

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the answer is a JF12-30. All maple - and a great balance of deep (not muddy) bass and crisp highs. The JF12-30 lends itself well for rhythm, solos and singing along with.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
F-412 is maple too. PLayed a really sweet one recently at, of all places, Guitar Center. It was in great shape, a trade in, someone snatched it for under $1,000.00.

My F-512 is anything but muddy on the low end. It sounds like a grand piano. :D

But I just played a new rosewood D-55 that should have been put out of its misery at the factory, it was deader than dead on the low end. :cry:

William63

Reaction score
I own a F512 and boy is that guitar loud! Plus it has a very warm and mellow sound. I will mirror what dreadnut says, it sounds like a grand piano. I have never played an F412 but I hear that they are generally brighter in tone. The F212 is mohagony and that too has a warm sound so don't rule out that model

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Terry Allen Hall,

Now that's a Texas musician's name if I've ever heard one. Always have to use all three names.....................Jerry Jeff Walker, Willis Allen Ramsey, David Allen Coe, Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Been in your part of the state a few times. On 287 just north of Ft. Worth. You guys play Ft. Worth or Dallas much?

West

Reaction score
Rep. o' Tejas, somewhere b'twixt Mexico and the Ne
West R Lee said:
Terry Allen Hall,

Now that's a Texas musician's name if I've ever heard one. Always have to use all three names.....................Jerry Jeff Walker, Willis Allen Ramsey, David Allen Coe, Ray Wylie Hubbard.

It's kinda traditional, I suppose! ;)

Been in your part of the state a few times. On 287 just north of Ft. Worth. You guys play Ft. Worth or Dallas much?

Quite a bit in Ft. Worth and Denton (and surrounding areas), occ. in Dallas/area.

And, where I live is NW of Ft. Worth, just off of 287/81, about 35 miles. We call it "Heaven" (although with the drought, currently it more closely resembles "Hell") :lol:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Terry,

Being from way out here in the Piney Woods, I love the terrain there. Pretty scenic to me. Of course, there are those that think New Mexico is pretty desolate, but when I go there, I'm in awe.

I'm in Denton occasionally....brought a young lady over from Malaysia who graduated from UNT last year. We come to Denton to visit her from time to time. Where do you play there? What kind of music do ya'll play?

West