Stress / Anger / "F***k You" Relief.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Going Coastal,

My brush with greatness is that I've spent a lot of time on that very same 4th Street in Minneapolis. It was on 4th Street where he lived in a dive above Gray's Drugs. About 100 yards from there, somebody pointed to the gutter and said he'd seen Bob ralph there. (No, not Bob Ralph. Bob ralph. Or as some of you might say, Bob ulric. [Not Ulric.])

In Minneapolis, I lived about two blocks from the studio where Bob re-recorded Blood on the Tracks. And you know "Meet me in the morning, 56th and Wabasha"? Well, the little wise-acre was playing a joke on yo-yos like me who go to the places he's been. I'd been to his brat-hood home in Hibbing, so I drove over to St. Paul to see what was at the intersection of 56th and Wabasha. The two roads don't meet.

I also took a class from a music prof who had flunked little Bob. And I saw him live there in '78.

I didn't see him again until '02, and I was stunned at how good he was. Have you heard any of the swing versions of "Summer Days" he was doing on his tour in about '02? It really peeled my flaps back. Here's the url. (It won't make you hurl.) Do some clickin'.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=% ... rch=Search

Squawk

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
I also took a class from a music prof who had flunked little Bob. And I saw him live there in '78.

Hey Darryl - Have you ever flunked any undergrads that went on to be accalimed writers?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Old Riedel flunked Zimbob for never showing up for tests. If I've ever flunked a good writer, it would have been for a similar reason. I flunk people automatically for cheating, but you have to work pretty hard to earn an F in any class of mine. I let people write papers over and take tests late, etc.

I have a great job, but I will yield the rest of my time to the gentleman from Hibbing: "Colleges are like old age homes. Except for the fact that more people die in colleges, there's really no difference." --Bob Dylan

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Yo Darryl didn't see nothing good about Dylan doing summer days but the other boys sure smacked it around.
Benee Wafers

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

Yeah, that's what I mean. He went on tour with two monster players and stood back and let them rip. There are much better versions of this that go three minutes longer.

Squawk

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
My brush with greatness is that I've spent a lot of time on that very same 4th Street in Minneapolis. It was on 4th Street where he lived in a dive above Gray's Drugs...

You learn something every day - I always thought the reference to 4th Street was in NYC - positively in the area where coffee houses abounded in those days (most were on MacDougal and Bleeker Streets actually - but the large subway station interchange is called West 4th Street).

Squawk

Reaction score
Yes Coastie - and it's a wonderful street to walk down. If you ever come to New York, I will give you a personal tour - and treat you to an expresso at one of the few remaining old Italian coffee houses (no more folksingers though). They have a nice guitar store too!

http://www.umanovguitars.com/

The store's a lot nicer than the website. They usually have a nice used Guild or two - I think the site has a search of current inventory.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Benee,

These are CDs and DVDs that people gave me. They are all posted for free at Dylan sites. I have no idea how to find them, but the young uns find them pronto. Do you know how to search for such things?