F-20 bracing in '67-'68

katshan

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of bracing was used in the late 60's F-20's, as in ladder or X bracing? Especially interested to know if there may have been a difference in the bracing in a '68 F-20, SN# AG-2643, with the large double pick guards and "Guild" perloid headstock inlay. Most likely not, but I wasn't sure what type of bracing was used anyway. Gibson used ladder bracing commonly in the 50's & until the end of the mid 60's in their small bodied guitars and I was curious about Guild.

Thanks for any info that you may be able to supply.

Kathy

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
katshan said:
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of bracing was used in the late 60's F-20's, as in ladder or X bracing?

Hello Kathy,

It was all regular X-bracing.

Hans

katshan

Reaction score
Hi again Hans... Thanks so much for your reply. That would definitely account for the sound difference between Guilds and Gibsons of that time period. If this little gem of a guitar is still available, I will be coming back into the Guild fold! Thanks for helping make my decision an easy one.

All the best to you.

katshan

Reaction score
Another questions about F-20's. If the guitar is designated F-20NT on the label, what does the NT represent? Thanks again.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Kathy,

Small bodies rule. you must send us a picture.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Kathy,

Probably NT = Natural Top. Is it a satin finish on the top or High Gloss.

katshan

Reaction score
Jeff - Thanks for the clarification on NT. Just wasn't sure about it.

The F-20 that looked so good in the pics seems to have neck and action issues unfortunately, the merchant was very honest and forthright with his description. So I've decided to pass on that one. I found another possibility though and I'm waiting to speak with the owner to get more info on it. Hopefully a good one will turn up soon. When I find the right one I'll be back with some pics! Thanks again for your help.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Kathy,

Probably NT = Natural Top. Is it a satin finish on the top or High Gloss.

Yup, NT stands for Natural Top as opposed to SB, which stands for Sunburst top.

A satin finish was not an option on the F-20 during those days; only the M-20 had a satin finish.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

katshan

Reaction score
Thanks again Hans - appreciate knowing about the finish too. My old '68 M-20 would've had a satin finish, as I recall. It was the one that got away.... What a gem it was.

Thanks.