Frets dressed

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
What does it mean when the frets neeed to be dressed?
What is involved, why is it necessary and how much should it cost?
Benee Wafers

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Dressing the frets simply means filing them to remove grooves or other problems with the frets. You have seen or may own a guitar that has a groove on the first fret at the B string from constant playing of C, F, Am, etc. My D-25 has had the 1st thru 3rd frets dressed. The 4th fret on to the sound hole end are all original height, and the 3rd is shorter than the 4th, 2nd is shorter than 3rd, and 1st is shorter than 2nd.

My D-40 (which needs full refret) has been dressed too many times and was dressed for a particular string set. It was dressed full length and was done so that each fret is taller on the big E side than on the little E side. In fact on the little E side they are so low that the strings buzz all up and down the neck because the frets are just too short. When they get too short, they will buzz because the frets are to low to give enough "break angle" across the fret to give a good clear tone.

Here is one luthiers prices.

http://www.melmusic.com/cshifflett/prices.html

Squawk

Reaction score
From his other posts on LTG, I think Coastie likes his frets undressed :wink:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Come on in there Sqauwker!!!!!!!! :lol: Coaster, not to worry, when I was single, I was told that had I been born a woman, I would have been the talk of the town. :)

West