New to forum- confused about F40's

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been looking in on this forum for awhile now and decided to dive in.

I've been following Guild's new line of small-bodies and the CV-1, I believe, has been compared to a F-40. I looked up F-40's on the web and every picture I've seen looks like a jumbo. The CV-1 is definitely a smaller bodied guitar.

However, I also came across the "Valencia" F-40 which appears to fall into the "OM" category.

Can anyone confirm these discrepencies among "F-40"'s thoughout the years?

By the way, I love Guild guitars and currently have a Corona D-50 that keeps getting better and better.

Thanks for your time.

plaidseason

Reaction score
Basically it goes something like this for the "F" body (although the rule has been broken more than a few times over the years):

F20 - 14" lower bout (like Martin 00)
F30 - 15" lower bout (like Martin 000/OM)
F40 - 16" lower bout - Mini-Jumbo (like Martin M/0000 or Gibson J185)
F50 - 17" lower bout - Jumbo (like Gibson J200)

Note that the above measurements are approximations, i.e., an F30 could be 15 1/4", etc.

Also note that there are a few years where F30 was used a for jumbo style guitar. Also, there's the JF30 and that was a jumbo as well. So it can get pretty confusing. But, the F40/Valencia is definitely a 16" mini-jumbo.

-Chris

F30r-ls
F44

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the response. That helps me quite a bit.

It's just that from the pictures, the CV-1 looks like an OM, not a mini-jumbo, as does the F-40 Valencia. I guess the only way to truly compare is to play them both side by side or compare the measurement specs.

Thanks again for all that info.

Reaction score
Thanks, good review.

That's what I mean; you (Dirt) described the CV-1 as "fitting" like a small body 00 or OM. Could a mini-jumbo be mistaken for a 00 or a OM? I mean, the F-40 Valencia and the CV-1 do not strike me as being similar to a Gibson J-185 in shape or size really. Perhaps it's an optical illusion.

Thanks again.

Dirt123

Reaction score
The CV-1 is defiantly a smaller guitar. My GF-25 is a 16-wide Jumbo, I think like the Gibbon J-185 or Martin J size. The Guild F-50 & F-512 is a 17 wide guitar, like a Gibbon J-200. I don't know what the width of the CV-1 is (I didn't measure it) but I think it's in the 15" range. It's bigger than a Martin OO guitar( which is about 14+") , so I think it's like a OOO or OM. The Guild website say it's an "Orchestra" body style, which makes sense.