From My Archive.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've saved some amusing newspaper snippets over the years, and this one, from probably 20 or so years ago, still makes me laugh.
But, I do confess, I am a bit twisted, and this is a bit Python-esque and may not appeal to the North American sense of humour.

It reads....

An American yachtsman is recovering in Fiji this week after a bizarre escape from hurricane Oscar.
Mr. Steven Newman and his 12 metre sloop Athena were carried by the huge seas and dropped safely on the floor of the Plantation Hotel on Malololailai Island.
Not knowing where he was, Mr. Newman fired an emergency flare into the hotel ceiling.
Mangere (NZ) radio ham Mr. Howard Martin monitored the crisis.
"Steve said he had been battling the storm for 24 hours and was sheltering at Malololailai", Mr. Martin said.
"We could tell he was completely disorientated and close to exhaustion. He didn't know where he was and went on deck to fire a flare - it only went about three feet in the air before it hit the ceiling."

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
OK Coastie,

Sounds like 1500 miles anyway, not sure in kilometers......maybe 2500 or so.

Saw this resort in Fiji a while back and it looked great, then I saw the price :roll: , the water still looked good though.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have similar issues with kilometer to mile conversion, got pinched on the trans Canada Highway in British Columbia a while back.

Scared the bejuzus out me when the cop told he was stopping me for going a little over 120. Thought I was gonna spend an extra day in Canada & part with some serious fine money. Turns out as I remember it was a little over 75 mph.

The Mountie let me off, I must have looked a bit pale, sure felt pale.